25: Permanent

Elizabeth

We go downstairs together for a quick breakfast. I sit beside Romeo as Caterina asks to hold Dominic. "Be careful, baby," Casso warns as he watches her intently.

"I'm a big girl, Dad. I can do this," she laughs. I watch her lose grip on Dominic, but I don't freak out because immediately, Romeo's hand is gripped around our baby boy's arm. Instead of crying, Dominic bursts out in laughter. I laugh and shake my head.

"What have you been doing these past years?" Elijah asks me.

"I worked at the bar with Aaron. He gave me a place to stay."

"Did he help you with Dominic?" Asks Romeo. I shake my head.

"I worried that if I let him help with Dominic, I'd fall for him. And I only love you, Romeo." I see a little smirk form.

"Alina will be excited to see you. She kicked herself for not being there. And she'll kick herself more for this," he chuckles. "She has a grandson."

"And I have a cousin!" Caterina says. "I wish he was a girl."

"Caterina," I reprimand and laugh.

"What? Daddy told me to be honest."

"Baby. You need to learn to read the room."

"I don't know what that means. I'm eight," she reminds. We all laugh.

"We are going home today. Everyone's excited to see you, Eliza," Elijah starts. I smile.

"Do they hate me?"

"Do they hate you," Romeo repeats. "Why would they hate you?"

"I left them with no explanation."

"You had no choice."

"But—" I pause. Romeo doesn't let me talk anymore. The waiter saves me from explaining anything else. He takes our order and when he leaves, Casso changes the subject so that I don't have to talk about that again.

...

I go to the bar to pack my things. Aaron is cleaning the bar and checking inventory when I come inside. He gives me an upside-down smile. "What's that smile for?" I ask.

"It was good knowing you, Eliza," he whispers. He goes to shake my hand, but I hug him instead.

"Thank you," I say. He hands me a bag with all my things in it.

"I'm one call away," he says. I turn to the door. Romeo is waiting outside after much convincing that he isn't going to try to steal me away because of his love for me.

"And Aaron," I say before I head out. "My name is Elizabeth," I say. "Thought you should know."

"Figured more or less," he chuckles. "Stay safe, Eliza."

...

We reach the airport. Because of our small group, we don't take a private jet. Rather, we take economy.