7: Like Sparks

Elijah pulls out the couch that makes a bed. He puts the sheets on the bed while I take a shower to wash off the blood. When I've come out in fresh clothes, he's left the room.

I sit in the little bed and look at Romeo. I caused him to be in pain. It's my fault.

I lay down and watch him for a minute...breathing in and out...tattoos covered in his dried blood. Even sleeping, he looks effortlessly handsome...and scary.

I turn the other way to fall asleep.

"Remember what I told you," he whispers in my ear as he traces the knife against my stomach. This is a man's world. I sit naked in front of him, but he's never touched me. He's never raped me or done that. He just likes my body on full display so that he can hurt me better. "Tell me!" He demands.

"Men are in control. Do as they say," I whisper. He holds the tip of the knife against my chin to tilt my chin up.

"Count to ten," he says. He rolls up his sleeves and slaps me across the face.

"One." Again, he slaps me. "Two." Third time. This time, I cry. "Three," I cry.

"No crying," he coaxes. Another hard slap. I whimper.

"Four." He continues to hit harder and harder. I can feel myself getting dizzier and dizzier.

"Remember. Every man wants one thing. They want to hold power over you," he says. He slaps me one more time.

I wake up with a start. I sit up in bed and hug myself. Don't cry. Don't cry.

Romeo walks out of the bathroom. He has sweatpants hanging dangerously low. He's free of blood now.

I turn away from him. My cheeks heat up a little bit.

Now, I'm crying.

"I'm sorry I hurt you," I whisper. I wipe my tears. Maybe he'll think that I'm crying because I feel bad.

"You protected yourself. If a man makes you scared like that, then do that again."

"Count for me." Slap.

"One." Slap. "Two."

"Elizabeth." He snaps me out of my daze. I look at him. He sits on the bed across from me and folds his hands in front of me. "What were you thinking about?"

"Master," I whisper.

"He's not your master," Romeo finally says.

Silence.

"What were you dreaming about?" I close my eyes and turn from him. "I am your safe haven, Elizabeth. What you tell me won't ever go out anywhere else."

"He would strip me naked and paint me like a canvas with my own blood," is all I say. I train off. I touch my stomach.

Silence.

"Go to sleep, Elizabeth."

"I'll have another nightmare," I protest.