Jealousy

This one's a request by BerylOng. I hope y'all enjoy

----------------------------

All the ice cubes had melted and watered down Rook's neglected drink. A pool of condensation formed underneath the glass and was steadily spreading towards the edge of the bar top. Droplets of the cool water would soon spill over the edge if Rook didn't take care of it. However, the revonnahgander paid no mind to it as his attention was elsewhere. He'd been glaring at a particular figure on the edge of the dance floor for nearly twenty minutes. If Rook wasn't careful, he'd burn a hole right through them from the intensity of his gaze.

Who is he glaring at? Some guy trying to make a move on Ben of course. The guy, some human with a terrible spray on tan, had been hovering within Ben's vicinity the entire time they had been at this club. He was constantly glancing over at the brunette and eyeing his body up and down. The lustful look Rook had caught in the man's eyes made it clear what he was here for and it was disgusting.

Rook hated people like that the most, and he dealt with intergalactic criminals almost daily. That was really saying something. People like that man only focus on physical appearances and temporary sexual pleasures instead of venturing further. Taking the time to get to know the soul behind that pretty face. To truly learn what makes a person tick, what you have in common and fall in love with who they are rather than just their looks. It made Rook's blood boil but he also felt something else.

Jealousy.

It was no secret that he's had a crush on Ben for ages now. At least it wasn't to anyone except for the man himself. It marveled Rook how oblivious the brunette could be regarding love but that's besides the point. How is it that this random club goer could get so close and almost intimate with Ben when, despite his best efforts, Rook couldn't? It didn't make any sense! And now here the revonnahgander was, working himself up over a man who isn't even his lover interacting with another in ways he wished he could.

"Dude, you okay?"

Rook nearly jumped in surprise as Ben spoke to him. He hadn't even realized that the brunette had abandoned the shallow, pleasure seeking man to return to his company.

"Yes," Rook lied, "I am okay."

"Then why do you look so angry?" Ben asked, raising a brow.

In truth and in fact, Rook considered confessing to Ben right then and there. He wanted to tell Ben how much it angered him to see him getting touchy and flirting with another. How much the sight hurt him deep inside. But, it wasn't his place to do so. Ben wasn't tied to him in anyway that mattered. They weren't a couple. There wasn't even the slightest hint of mutual romantic tension between them. They were merely work partners and good friends. Rook had no right to tell him not to go around and flirt with other people despite the jealousy that pooled in his gut because of it.

"I am just ready to call it a night," Rook said instead before downing the last of his watered down drink in one go, "I think that I might be an angry drunk."

"Oh!" Ben exclaimed reaching into his pocket for his wallet, "Let's go then. I almost forgot that you're not used to this. Human alcohol I mean." 

Rook hummed and contributed a few bucks too many to pay for the pair's drinks. He then let Ben take him by the arm and lead him out of the club. His blood grew hot once more when the man who was flirting with Ben earlier made the "call me" gesture ad winked at the brunette. Rook didn't miss the way it caused Ben's cheeks to flush and he didn't miss the way it made him even more jealous than before.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I struggled a bit with deciding where to take this request, but ultimately I'm satisfied with it. Let me know what y'all think.

Also after this, updates will be changing from 2-3 times a month to 1-3. I have a lot more responsibilities at school now since it's my final year of high school and I'm a sub-prefect so I have even less time than before to write but I'll do my best to keep posting fics. At this point too, I want to reach 100 ficlets before I even consider ending this book. But as always, we'll see what happens.

Have a good rest of your day/night.