6 || lies

The door swung open, slamming against the wall

The door swung open, slamming against the wall. "Well, if it isn't my best friend, Lord Neo," Venion said, his sarcastic tone laced with venom. "How fancy meeting you here."

Neo could only grip the cold metal in his hand tighter. He silently threw a fit in his mind, with an inconceivable notion that he had entered the dungeon at the wrong time. He was sure that Venion's carriage was to arrive later in the evening, rather than mid-afternoon. 

'No, but this might be better. I can make this work... provided that Raon works with me for the worst-case scenario. I was lucky enough to hide the potion...'

Neo sucked it up and bowed in courtesy, never looking at the man in front even after standing up straight again. "Greetings, Lord Venion. Have you come to train the dragon?" 

"Well, aren't you a bit too formal towards a friend? Lift your head up, Lord Neo."

Neo slowly complied, his vision meeting with green calculative eyes. 

"But, yes, indeed I have. I was simply wondering what Lord Neo was doing here. Surely you had no intentions of releasing it?" Venion crossed his arms, eyeing the tools he had in his hand.

"No, no. Of course not. I was just about to teach this dragon his place because it started acting like a crazed dog." 

"Hm..." 

Venion went quiet. Neo felt like he was staring into his soul before shifting his gaze onto the dragon in the corner, threatened by his presence. He couldn't guess what he was thinking. The silence began to make Neo's palms clammy before an eerie laugh echoed through the room.

"Well, why don't you start? It's not every day that I have a different torturer. I wish to see your techniques." Venion's smirk clearly entailed a plan, which wasn't much to Neo's liking. He tried to think of a way to wriggle himself out of this one. If worst comes to worse, he'd have to act with Raon.

"Oh, but I'm sure you'd receive a lot more joy if someone experienced carried out this work. I was only planning to—"

"Don't you remember what I said?"

"...Sorry?"

Venion's smiling face turned into something that could almost freeze everything in sight. "For me to regain my trust in you, you will have to unconditionally carry out whatever task I told you to do. This is the task I'm handing you. Torture the dragon, Neo Tolls."