12 || bare your teeth

hello.

thanks to a certain few who were calling me to come back.

I thank you for the support, but unfortunately,  even if you spam me with hundreds of messages, i cannot provide. i apologize, yet i cannot promise consistency. i do admit this break was a long one, though... life has been getting busy, and i don't open wattpad as much. hope you understand.

thanks for everything.

-

The banquet was beginning but without a perfectly timed interruption. Neo closely watched Venion's expression when Taylor and Kage made their valiant appearance through the front door. Admittedly, it was satisfying to see his eyes widen and then scrunch up.

When the Crown prince talked with Taylor, Neo glanced from person to person, observing their changing expressions.

'Ah, people-watching will never get boring.'

It seemed that Cale thought the same.

"Lord Taylor, you can sit at the northeast's table. Thankfully, they have many seats left," The Crown prince said, smiling.

There was a short period of greetings before rearranging the seats. Soon, the banquet properly commenced.

.

.

Neo sipped his wine as he watched Cale and his other northeastern territory friends get up to greet the Crown prince, declining their request to come along. He thought that he did not need to visit the silver-tongued prince now, for all he had planned on doing was complete. Cale was quite the congenial person, Neo thought. A deal was easily struck as long there was profit to be made.

Slowly, the caramel-haired man began preparing to leave. All went well before footsteps came towards him.

"I trust you received those gifts well?" Venion smiled, unresponsive to Neo's unsavoury gaze.

"Indeed I did, Lord Venion. I—"

"Then, shouldn't you understand the intent behind it?" He walked so that his shoulder aligned with Neo's, a hand landing on the opposing's shoulder, gripping it tightly. "You weren't the cleverest, yet you weren't the dullest. Even you should have figured out this much. I want what is originally mine, back. My patience is running out, Neo Tolls."

Neo gave no response to such provocation. Instead, he said, "This isn't exactly the greatest place to talk about your threat, no? Magic devices are hidden everywhere. It would be a shame if you were caught now."

"...Hmph." Venion scoffed and pushed him out of his way. "Do you think I wasn't prepared for that? None of those devices can see or hear a thing."

Neo staggered backwards with a sore shoulder and suppressed a laugh. It was hilarious to think that he wasn't prepared, either; he has a cheat code who could disable anything if he wished. Thank goodness he asked the dragon to guard him for a while, in case this exact scenario occurred. 

"I'm not related to the missing dragon— how could you be so sure it's me? There were many who were at the scene; not just me.

"Why would a meagre lout need a dragon? I never thought the dog I doted on so well would bite the hand who fed him. Prepare yourself, Neo Tolls. This means war." 

Neo snickered as Venion walked away. Is he losing his rationality over how pressured he is? To be fair, his condition didn't seem too good. He must have been stressed thinking about how he could mend this situation without his father knowing of his failure. "How bold of you, Lord Venion! To declare war! I trust that this is official~!" Neo waved cheerfully. This scenario couldn't be any better.

He peeked over to his side. "Got that all down, buddy?"

[Yeah.]

Cale, who had finished talking with the prince returned to witness the latter parts of the interaction. "...Aren't you a handful?"

Neo smiled. "My value is worth more than just a handful, you know."

"Rather than value, it is more like mischief..."

"Just watch. You'll be seeing something interesting."

"Is that so? I'll be looking forward to a spectacular show."

"..."

"Ah, but don't actually just watch. Remember? Personnel."

Raon had listened enough of their conversation and nudged Neo's face, a little upset. [Hey, human. Don't forget about the promise.]

"Oh, sorry. Come here, I'll give you tons of pets! Well done, little guy! You are the MVP of today!"

[The promise was praising, not pets... although it's not as half bad, human.]

Cale smiled and watched the two interact. Then, something important came to his mind. "Hey, is it really okay to reveal yourself like this?"

"Ah...??? Oh, my god."

*Fortunately, it was okay. Raon is a smart little boy and placed up a barrier. Nobody saw him.

-

"My Lord..." Dante hesitantly started, unsure how to state the rumours he heard. He sent Dal Yun to check the situation from afar just in case something happened, and the little birdie relayed everything said. He steered the horse carriage with fidgeting hands.

"Yes? Spit it out."

"Are you starting a war with the Stan family?"

"Oh, has the word gotten this far already? I suppose everyone must have heard considering how loud I announced it. Haha."

His trembling voice fills with desperate pleas; "Sir, you must understand the position of our estate! Our power could never rival that of the Stan's family! Even if you recruit the best of knights—"

"—I wouldn't be able to win?" Neo finished Dante's sentence for him. Strangely, a smile appeared on his face. "Well, that's only what normal people would think. But you see, I'm quite unusual myself. Don't worry about it too much, Dante. I have my plans."

The conversation ended unsatisfyingly, where you could only listen to the clip-clopping of horses. Neo could almost make out his heartbeat in the silence. "My Lord. If you plan on endangering yourself again, I will place you on house arrest for a week."

"What, hey now... Is there a need to do that? It's not like I'll walk out of the estate with a giant target on my face."

"You might as well be! I really shouldn't have left you. Out of my sight for one moment, and this is what you do..."

Neo felt a little apologetic. Perhaps he should have told Dante the worrywart first, but he didn't realise he'd overreact this much. "I'll double your pay today, okay? Just calm down. I'll tell you everything."

"Ahem... The money was unneeded, but I'll take it anyway."

'Look at this bastard...' Neo crossed his arms and huffed.

"Dammit... Dammit!" Venion lashed out at his room, destroying everything breakable. Glass shards littered the room, paintings were snapped in half, and any wood could only become mere splinters. He then wavered, and bit at his shaking nails till blood dripped out, mumbling incoherent things. "That vermin... Utter neophyte!" His unstable emotions flushed to a stop. Slowly, sharp, chilling laughs echoed loud enough to scare the maids outside his room. "You want to play this game? I'll teach you what it's like to mess with me."

"A young hatchling could never win over a mature adult."