06

Bucky sat in silence as he tried to forget what had happened to him.

Frank joined and asked, "Penny for your thoughts?"

Bucky shook his head. "Nothing I want to get into."

"Fair enough."

Steve watched his friends for a moment, then joined them as people sang There's a Tavern in Town.

"See, I told you," Bucky said. "They're all idiots."

"How about you?" Steve asked. "You ready to follow Captain America and Lieutenant Liberty into the jaws of death?"

"Hell, no. That little guy and the other from Brooklyn who was too dumb not to run away from a fight and who wouldn't leave his friend alone. I'm following them. But you're both keeping the outfits, right?"

"You know what? It's kind of growing on me."

Frank glanced back at the poster of himself. "You know what? I think so."

The singing in the bar ceased as Peggy, in a tight-fitting, deep-red dress, walked in. "Captain. Lieutenant."

"Agent Carter," Steve and Frank said.

"Ma'am," Bucky greeted.

"Howard has some equipment for you to try," Peggy told Steve and Frank. "Tomorrow morning?"

"Sounds good," Steve replied.

"I see your top squad is prepping for duty."

"You don't like music?" Bucky asked.

"I do, actually," Peggy answered, looking at Frank. "I might even, when all this is over, go dancing."

"Then what are we waiting for?"

Peggy didn't notice who he was looking at. "The right partner. 0800, Captain, Lieutenant."

"Yes, ma'am," Steve said. "We'll be there."

Bucky, referring to Peggy's comment, said, "I'm invisible. I'm... I'm turning into you. It's like some horrible dream."

"Don't take it so hard," Frank teased. "Maybe she's got a sister."

---

The next morning, Steve and Frank entered a base and noticed a blonde woman and the former said, "Excuse me. We're looking for Mr. Stark."

"He's in with for Colonel Phillips," the woman, Lorraine, replied absentmindedly turning to look at Steve and Frank. She smiled. "Of course, you're welcome to wait." She held up a newspaper which showed the article about Steve and Frank saving the little boy. "I read about what you did."

Steve leaned against a table awkwardly. "Oh, the... Yeah. Well, that's, you know. Just doing what needed to be done."

Lorraine stood. "Sounded like more than that. You saved nearly 400 men."

"Really, it's not a big deal." He clasped his hands, resting them in front of him.

Lorraine walked towards them. "Tell that to their wives."

"I don't think they were married," Frank said.

She smirked. "You're heroes."

"Well, that depends on the definition, really." He really wished she'd back away, as she was making him uncomfortable and was clearly making his friend uncomfortable as well.

"The women of America, they owe you their thanks. And seeing as they're not here..." She pulled Frank behind a bookcase and started kissing him.

"Lieutenant!" Peggy called. "We're ready for you and the captain, if you're not otherwise occupied."

"Agent Carter, wait," Steve said.

"Peggy that's not what you thought it was."

"Then what was it?"

"What about you and Stark? How do I know you two haven't been fondue-ing?"

"You still don't know a bloody thing about women." She walked away.

Frank frowned. "I should think not."

"Fondue is just cheese and bread, my friend," Howard told him.

"Really? I didn't think..." Frank trailed, frowning at Steve who had an amused smile.

"Nor should you, pal. The moment you think you know what's going on in a woman's head is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked. Me, I concentrate on work, which at the moment you and your men do not get killed."

Howard held up a shield. "Carbon polymer. Should withstand your average German bayonet. Although, HYDRA's not going to attack you with a pocket knife." He gestured to Steve's shield. "I hear you're kind of attached."

"It's handier than you might think," Steve said.

"I took the liberty of coming up with some options." He lifted one up. "This one's fun. She's been fitted with electrical relays that allow you to..."

Steve noticed a circular shield and picked it up. "What about this one?"

"No, no, that's just a prototype."

"What's it made of?"

"Vibranium. It's stronger than steel and a third of the weight. It's completely vibration absorbent."

"How come it's not standard issue?"

"That's the rarest metal on Earth. What you're holding there, that's all we've got."

Peggy walked up and asked, "You quite finished, Mr. Stark? I'm sure the Lieutenant has some unfinished business."

Frank held up the shield. "What do you think? For Steve, I mean."

Peggy, still angry with what had happened between Frank and Lorraine, picked up a gun and shot the shield. Frank, seeking shelter, held it up for fear the angry agent would shoot him.

"Yes," Peggy said. "I think it works."

Frank lowered the shield and stared at her with wide eyes. His gaze turned to Steve who said, "You did well. Good luck with her."

Frank shot him a look. "The commentary isn't always necessary."

Peggy walked away.

Steve moved closer to Howard and handed him a paper. "I had some ideas about the uniform. I think Frank does too."

Howard took the paper. "Whatever you want, pal."