01

A smoky cube shape, with what looked to be burning blue flames, emerged.

EXT. THRONE ROOM - SPACE - NIGHT

Kneeling behind a throne, a clothed, armored figure, the Other, said, "The Tesseract has awakened. It is on a little world. A human world. They would wield its power..." He held out the scepter.

Loki came out from the shadows and took the staff.

The Other continued. "But our ally knows its workings as they never will. He is ready to lead. And our force, the Chitauri, will follow." Thousands of Chitauri were awaiting orders. "The world will be his. The universe yours. And the humans, what can they do but burn?"

EXT. S.H.I.E.L.D. PROJECT P.E.G.A.S.U.S. FACILITY - NIGHT

Outside in the New Mexico desert, a remote research facility was in a state of panic as they evacuated. A swooping helicopter flew in, dropping Agent Maria Hill and Nick Fury. Agent Coulson awaited them.

"How bad is it?" Fury asked.

"That's the problem sir," Coulson replied. "We don't know."

They entered the facility, passing fleeing technicians, taking only what was necessary.

Coulson continued. "Dr. Selvig read an energy surge from the Tesseract four hours ago."

"NASA didn't authorize Selvig to test phase," Fury said.

"He wasn't testing it, he wasn't even in the room. Spontaneous advancement."

"It just turned itself on?" Hill questioned.

"What are the energy levels?" Fury wondered.

Coulson glanced at him. "Climbing. When Selvig couldn't shut it down, we ordered evac."

"How long to get everyone out?"

"Campus should be clear in the next half hour."

"Do better."

They continued walking deeper into the facility.

"Sir, evacuation may be futile," Hill said.

"We should tell them to go back to sleep?" Fury shot back.

"If we can't control the Tesseract's energy, there may not be a minimum safe distance."

"I need you to make sure Phase 2 prototypes are shipped out."

"Sir, is that really a priority right now?"

"Until such a time as the world ends, we will act as though it intends to spin on. Clear out the tech below. Every piece of Phase 2 on a truck and gone."

"Yes sir." She said to agents nearby, "With me."

Fury and Coulson entered the radiation facility housing the Tesseract. The area was cluttered with machines and people leaving.

"Talk to me doctor," Fury said.

Dr. Erik Selvig appeared from behind a CMS machine, concerned. The Tesseract was glowing unusually brighter and a flare of blue shot out from it, hitting things at random.

"Director," Selvig greeted.

"Is there anything we know for certain?" Fury asked.

"The Tesseract is misbehaving."

"Is that supposed to be funny?"

"No, it's not funny at all. The Tesseract is not only active, she's... misbehaving."

"How soon until you pull the plug?"

"She's an energy source. If we turn off the power, she turns it back on. If she reaches peak level..."