EXT. STARK TOWER

Selvig, back in scientist mode, clacked away at his laptop and nodded. Black Widow grabbed Loki's scepter, slowly breaking into the forcefield, almost touching the Tesseract.

"I can close it!" Black Widow said. "Can anybody hear me? I can shut the portal down!"

EXT. MANHATTAN

"Do it!" Captain America and Madam Independence told her.

"No, wait!" Iron Man replied.

"Stark, these things are still coming!" Captain America said.

"I got a nuke coming in, it's gonna blow in less than a minute. And I know just where to put it."

EXT. SKY

Iron Man caught up and came at the missile from behind. The missile sped on. Iron Man grabbed it from behind, gripping it tightly. With a mighty effort, he wrenched the rocket off its course. Steering it from behind, he accelerated quickly, flying straight up into sky, towards the portal.

"Stark, you know that's a one-way trip?" Captain America said.

"Save the rest for return, J," Iron Man told JARVIS.

"Sir. Shall I call Miss Potts?" JARVIS asked.

"You might as well."

INT. STARK JET

Pepper, along with her crew, watched on T.V., in horror, the destruction in New York. On the table, her cell was vibrating with Tony's picture on it.

INT. HELICARRIER BRIDGE

Every agent held their breath as they watched Iron Man fly up into the portal.

EXT. SKY

Iron Man climbed higher and higher over the city, gaining speed, then flung himself through the portal. Communications died. The suit began to freeze. Tony looked in horror.

INT. HELICARRIER BRIDGE

Every agent cheered. Fury smiled. He tried to communicate with Tony, but got nothing.

EXT. SPACE

Tony's faced an armada. The black sky was filled with maybe ninety ships in a vague cluster. Most of them hung still in the air. Some moved swimmingly about. Iron Man let go of the missile. It whistled off into the blackness as Iron Man idly fell back down the portal's opening. The missile reached the main ship. The main ship imploded, causing the entire armada to burst into a supernova, creating a spectacular heavenly display.

EXT. MANHATTAN

All the Chitauri soldiers and Chitauri Leviathans keeled over and began to shake, then stopped. They fell over. The Avengers looked up at their consultant, not sure if he'd make it through.

EXT. STARK TOWER

Still holding the scepter in hand, Black Widow shifted around, waiting as she muttered, "Come on, Stark..."

EXT. MANHATTAN

Thor, Lieutenant and Captain America saw the supernova coming toward them. Thor nodded to Captain America and Lieutenant Liberty.

"Close it," Captain America and Lieutenant Liberty ordered.

EXT. STARK TOWER

Without hesitating, Black Widow pulled the scepter out and the Tesseract turned off its energy beam. The portal quickly closed. A small figure was hurled backwards into the open, now closed portal. It was Iron Man plummeting to the earth.