The MJ Problem

Just like MJ said, Peter arrived thirty minutes later. He was dressed in a green suit jacket that matched my dress, and khaki pants. His hair was all disheveled, letting me know that he had somehow swung here in this outfit without anyone noticing him. 

He pulled out a small bouquet from his back, "For my lady." He then turned to MJ, before taking me by the hand and leading me out. "Thank you for your help."

She saluted him, packing up her things, "I'll do the craziest things for my friends."

They laughed, a joke I didn't quite get, and we made our way to the roof of the building. I was silent as we walked, paranoid thoughts still running through my head. They even have inside jokes, I thought to myself. What else was I missing? When had they had time to hang out like this, to get to know each other as well as they seemed to? 

As we reached the top of the stairs, Peter turned to me with the biggest grin on his face. "Okay, I'm going to cover your eyes and lead you, okay? I need this to be a complete surprise."

I smiled back, his happy mood as contagious as ever, and I let my thoughts slip away. "Lead on, Spiderboy."

Peter placed his left hand over my eyes, leading me with his right hand. As soon as he opened the door, I could hear the quiet peaceful music he played. I could also smell the overpowering aroma of flowers, I wasn't sure which ones, but it was more than I had ever been around in the city. Finally, our feet found a soft surface, and Peter slowly removed his hand to reveal the scene around us. 

We were standing on a small carpet with a picnic basket sitting on the edge filled with what I could only describe as the most delictable things I had ever seen. Surrounding us were a million flower petals of all shapes, sizes, and colors. And flowery smelling candles surrounded us, lighting up the darkening area. 

I smiled, turning to Peter and placing a small kiss on his cheek. "This is beautiful, and somehow the weather is perfect even though it's been awfully cold."

Peter smiled pulling me close, "Yeah, I lucked out on that one. I thought I was gonna have to set this all up in your apartment, and that would have been a mess."

I took a deep breath and closed my eyes as we swayed to the music. I placed my head on his chest, letting the stress from the day evaporate off of me. There was no reason to be worried or paranoid. Peter was here, with me, and all I wanted was to make this moment last a lifetime. 

Peter kissed the top of my head and pulled away ever so slightly so I could see his whole face. "There is something I wanted to ask you."

Suddenly my head reeled with the possibilities. Was this good? Bad? Was I right and he was breaking up with me? Or were we moving way too fast, and this was a proposal? Surely not, right? This wasn't the right time, for either of those things. I wasn't ready, I just wanted to stand here and dance. 

"Y/n/n," Peter whispered, placing a kiss on my hand, and bringing me back to him. "Are you okay?"

I turned from him, "Whatever you're about to ask me, don't."

Peter's smile fell, and he dropped my hand. "What?"

I pulled away from him, moving towards the edge of the roof. "Thank you for this lovely setup, the food looks delicious, this is beautiful, and I love it. I love you."

Peter stood next to me, "I love you too, that's why-"

"No. I-" 

What was I protesting? Why was I creating something out of nothing? Who knew what he was about to ask me?

And you don't want to know, I thought. It'll ruin everything. He's not meant to be with you, you know.

That's when it hit me. The fear I was feeling, wasn't coming out of nowhere. It was coming from something we both knew to be true about the world and all the other worlds. I was not his soulmate. I was not the person he would end up with, no matter how much I tried to love him. 

"It's MJ," I said allowed. 

"What?"

I let out a choked sob, as the realization hit me ten-fold. That's why they had so quickly become close because it was meant to be. The universe deemed it so. "You're meant to be with MJ."

Peter grabbed my hands, pulling me close toward him. "What in the world gives you that idea?"

"Peter, you were there, you saw and heard the same things I did. In every other universe, you are with MJ. In every other universe, you make it work with her, you fall in love with her," I cried, finally letting the weight from the last month leave me. "She even looks the same in other universes."

"So?" Peter questioned. "I love you, not her. I did this for you, not her. You're the one who knows that I am Spiderman. You're the one who I grew up with, who I have made and want to continue making memories with. Why do you think I did this tonight? To break up with you? To tell you that actually after everything we've been through I'm going to leave you for your best friend. Because you're insane if you think that."

I laughed, wiping a tear from my eye, "Then I'm insane. But Peter, you two have gotten so close so quickly."

"Because of you, y/n. We only ever talk about you when we do talk. And the reason I texted her tonight, instead of you is because I knew if I left you for an hour on your own you would have accidentally stumbled across this before I was ready."

I smiled, suddenly feeling ashamed that I had let my paranoia take over. That I had questioned myself into oblivion. "Then why did you want tonight to be so perfect?"

"Because..." Peter started, pulling out a piece of paper out of his pocket. "I wanted you to help me make you a costume. I'm afraid the more people see you and Spiderman together the more villains are more likely to find out my identity and trace me back to you. With a costume, I can swing you around without having to fear that someone try to harm you."

The widest grin found its way to my face. "Oh, Peter, of course. Gosh, I'm so sorry for making this such a big thing, I do trust you and love you... god, Peter. I love you."

Peter kissed my hand spinning me around, and then pulling me close. "No, I'm happy you brought it up. Because I don't want you to ever have to worry about that. MJ may be my destiny in a different universe, but in this universe, I only have eyes for you."