Truthful

"What was she doing?!" Amethyst asked, completely engulfed with rage.

"You should leave it alone; you know Garnet would only do what's necessary. Ruby and Sapphire would surely not be content with something like that," Pearl replied calmly.

"Oh sure, because almost froggin' kissing her is what's necessary, as if there wasn't any other way! I'm sure she would've talked to me," Amethyst scoffed, her cheeks colored with fury.

"You are overreacting. If you like her so much, why don't you just tell her? Humans are not that complicated," Pearl continued, not caring at all.

"I can't just do that when it's obvious she has a crush on Garnet! Didn't you see how she was all blushy and stuttery?!" She blurted out, throwing whatever she was holding away.

"Amethyst, if you don't tell her the truth now, maybe you will never be able to. Go on and take a chance on her, who knows? She might feel the same," Pearl advised, landing a soothing hand on her shoulder, making her calm down.

"It's just... It's not fair. What if Garnet feels that way towards her too?" Amethyst asked, her voice finally surrendering.

"Garnet won't, Ruby and Sapphire won't, so quit overthinking everything and rejoin us inside, okay?" Pearl insisted, getting tired of Amethyst's behavior.

"No. I'm going to make Garnet tell her about herself being a fusion. I liked her first."

You walked up the steps furiously. Before you could reach Steven, you heard him arguing with someone. "You promised me you wouldn't tell her!" You heard him exclaim.

You stood still, without fully reaching the top, eavesdropping on their conversation.

"I'm sorry, Steven. But it was for the best, now we can help her," that was Garnet's voice. What were they talking about?

"Couldn't you have seen it? Why did you need her to go through all that?" Wait, were they talking about you?

"I couldn't see anything. All the patterns were so random; we were truly lucky about her opening up," she answered.

"You know Amethyst likes her, right?" Steven asked, making Garnet tilt her head.

"Yes, we all do," she answered, crossing her arms over her chest.

"No, Garnet. I mean as Ruby likes Sapphire," Steven continued. More information about the secret, Ruby and Sapphire were dating.

Garnet stood quiet for maybe too long. "Yes, we all do," she repeated. Wait.

"Wh-what?" Steven stuttered.

Garnet's expression changed completely when she realized what she said. "Sorry. I didn't mean it like that. What I'm saying is, you must be confused. You know Amethyst, if she liked her she would've said something already," okay, you definitely were going to talk to Amethyst once that conversation was over.

"Well, she can't!" Steven shouted.

"Of course she can," she replied unmoved.

"No, she can't when it's obvious you are the one my sister has a crush on!" Steven continued, getting even angrier. It wasn't very likely to find him that mad.

Garnet seemed to reach her limit, then eventually calmed down before responding. "She does not have a crush on me. She can't. I'm... I'm not single, you know that, and she will too. If she blushed it's because you humans work like that, and that was the only way we could help her."

"Well, you better tell her then." Steven replied, cooling down as well. "Us 'humans' don't just blush at anyone; if you could only see the way she looks at you, you'd realize. Amethyst is really mad, you know?" Steven scoffed, wrapping his arms together as well.

Out of nowhere, she took her lips to her fingers and shushed Steven, "She's listening," she mouthed too quietly for you to hear, then pointed to the stairs for him to leave. After a silent argument between them, Steven finally obliged.

With heavy steps, he walked to where you were hiding, prompting you to move quickly. You managed to get to the barn's main door when he saw you.

"Oh. Hey, sis. Whatcha doing down here?" He asked as he moved closer to you.

"Oh, um, just, uh, you know, standing in the field, hah," that was certainly the worst pun you've ever made. Even Steven was clearly hiding his disgust. Bad, really bad puns were probably your coping mechanism against stressing situations.

"Uhm, well, Garnet's upstairs and she needs to tell you something. Even if she doesn't want to, she has to, so go look after her, and remind her of me if she refuses," he said before leaving. My stars, it was really weird to see Steven... pretty much anything but happy or sad.

Finally, after mustering up the courage to climb up the steps, you found Garnet seated on the floor with her legs crossed and her hands together.

You thought she might be occupied so you turned around on your heel but was stopped when she raised her voice.

"Don't leave so soon. Steven will be mad at me if you do. Please, take a seat," She said, not even turning to look at you and tapping the spot next to her.

You obliged, even crossing your legs as sitting next to her. "Steven already looks mad," you said in a murmur.

Garnet completely took no account of whatever you tried to tell her. "Your birthday is right around the corner," she said in a calm voice.

"Guess it is," you answered.

"I can see all the big plans you've got; that is something you should be proud of," she continued, not even glancing at you once.

"Thanks," you shrugged, not understanding what she was going for. "Could you try and cut to the chase? I've got to talk with Amethyst."

She nodded, at least not ignoring you any longer. "We all know you're not conform with our strict rules to manage certain information. I tried to talk to you about this yesterday, but it seems I didn't phrase it as I should've. Let me try again. I will answer anything you ask on your birthday, and in exchange, you're obligated to be truthful with us."

"Truthful? What do you mean?" You turned intrigued.

She sighed. "We want to help you, but we can't if we don't know the problem. We do know one of the problems is our communication, so we'll fix that. From now on, we... I'm asking you to be honest," she finally looked at you. "Because I think you're a really extraordinary being, and that you just need a chance to prove yourself," she took her hand to your thigh.

What was that feeling? Why were your cheeks named after her? When did this start and when will it end?

"Oh-okay, I-I'll be honest. Can I leave now?" Your cheeks colored even brighter, making her raise an eyebrow.

Before she could answer, Amethyst walked inside the barn and saw the scene displaying right in front of her.

"Oh," she muttered, taking a step back. "Sorry, guys. Steven told me you were up here and-"

"It's no problem," Garnet quickly retreated her hand from your thigh as she answered. "I've got things to do and you two have things to talk about so-" and the interruptions continued.

"No, I- I need to talk with you first," Amethyst replied, taking a quick glance at your flustered state.

"Oh, sure," Garnet responded unsure, turning back to you as waiting for an answer.

You gulped silently before standing up and making your way to the door.