Birthday Eve

"I mean, she already knows the rest; it won't hurt to tell her any more," Pearl reasoned, making everyone get deeper into the argument.

"Yeah, she deserves it," Amethyst coldly stated; maybe 'everyone' wasn't the correct term.

"I'll tell her on her birthday. She'll find that a pleasant surprise," Garnet ended, making everyone sigh, this time for real.

"What will we do about this then?" Peridot pointed, and not only out, also to the huge curtain no one knew how you hadn't seen yet.

"We'll also give her that," Garnet added, and they all turned to admire it.

"So boring!" You exaggerated, trying to get Steven's attention.

"Not my fault," he answered deliberately, completely ignoring you.

"Why can't we take a sneaky peek at the gems' <<oh so important and top-secret meeting,>> eh?" You pleaded, completely overreacting.

"Nuh uh, they asked me to keep you here, and that's what I'll do!" He replied, crossing his arms over his chest. You weren't the only one mimicking the moves of you-know-who.

"C'mon, it'll be fun! Why don't we make that my birthday gift?" You continued, oblivious to his firmness.

"Because Garnet said there would be bad consequences, and she's the only one that can see the consequences," he walked back to the mattress. He wasn't doing the best job in distracting you.

"You all are so boring!" You fell next to him defeated.

"It's not boring, it's safe, Sunstone should really talk to you."

Your eyes turned into stars. "Who's Sunstone?!"

Steven's nerves invaded him, making him freeze in the place. "Uh... Nobody! It's just, um, a saying we gems have!"

"Sure, that's why you're sweating," your expression returned to the disappointed one.

"Hey! It's really hot in the summer!" He defended himself.

"I hate how you guys hide everything. I'd understand if you worked at the FBI or something but, what the frog?" you continued, and you wouldn't stop.

"Ngah! If you want to go spy on them so bad just go; I'll just say you escaped," he mumbled. Seeing Steven so annoyed lately was worrying you.

You moved closer to him and wrapped an arm around his neck, all of your previous annoyance magically being replaced by empathy. "Hey, bud," you whispered, trying to get him to look at you. "I'm sorry. Maybe I shouldn't complain to the only one who wants to help me."

"No, you shouldn't," he mumbled, looking away again.

"You seemed really sad lately, wanna talk about it?" You asked softly, prompting him to accept your hug, hiding his face in your shoulder.

"I just wish you'd get along better with the gems. I know they can be difficult sometimes, but they care about you; why don't you give them a chance to tell you their stuff at their own pace?" He answered with the wholesome tone you missed in his voice.

You smiled, softly, but enough. "I will, I promise," you hugged him. "I'll wait for them to tell me whatever they have to say, okay?"

"Okay."

"Are you guys ready?" Lapis asked, raising her hands into the air.

"Now!" Bismuth shouted, and she obliged.

"Aesthetically pleasing," Peridot commented, making everyone smile with pride.

"She'll like it?" Amethyst asked Garnet, standing next to her.

"She'll love it."

"Okay, truth or dare?" Steven asked. Finding killing-time activities wasn't as hard as you thought.

"Dare," you said proudly.

"Okay, I'll give you two options to choose."

You raised an eyebrow. "Can you do that?"

"Why not?" He malevolently rubbed his hands together. "I dare you to..." you flinched your eyes, tension increasing. "Choose truth!"

You were NOT going that way. "Nope, what's the other option?"

"Confess your undying love towards Garnet!"

Oh no.

Oh, frog, no.

He knew.

How the frog did he know?!

"Uhh, wh-what?" You stuttered, your cheeks betraying you.

He smiled mischievously. "You chose dare, I'm daring you to confess your feelings towards Garnet. Or you can choose truth?"

That was probably revenge. And you always thought he hated vengeance. "Okay, okay, I'll choose truth."

"Have you got a crush on one of the gems?" He asked, his bubbly mannerism returning.

Your face turned even redder. "Who the frog told you any of this?!"

"We all saw what happened between you and Garnet yesterday. Don't act as if it never happened," he crossed his arms playfully.

Your heart raced so fast it could've gone out of your chest. "Can't we change the subject?"

"Come on, I can be your wingman!" What was with Steven? He usually never acted that way.

"Steven, please, I... I don't like her. And she doesn't like me. You guys are like aliens, it- it isn't meant to be," you embarrassedly muttered.

"But it is! My father was a human too, and he fell in love with my mom!" He exclaimed.

"But... Steven, look. They were, I dunno, compatible? But Garnet is the lamest," you crossed your arms as well.

"You know you like her! A lot! She saved your life countless times and you love her, admit it!" He persisted, you were not scaping that situation any time soon.

"I don't love her. She saved me, yes, but..." you struggled to continue, they were all mixed feelings. "She told you all to not tell me anything, it- it just wouldn't make sense!"

He sighed defeately, realizing that conversation wasn't going anywhere. "When you come clear with what you truly feel, please tell me. Because there's people who deserve to know the truth."

Wait. Was he talking about Amethyst?

"Garnet, I'm worried about Amethyst," Pearl said after managing to get away from the main group. "She's been acting really weird lately."

"Amethyst likes Steven's sister, but she doesn't reciprocate. Give her some time, I'm sure she'll come around again." Garnet said softly, adjusting her shades in the process.

Pearl's surprise wasn't easy to hide. "Steven had already mentioned something like that, I wasn't sure if it was true," Pearl muttered to herself. "What should we do to help Amethyst?"

"She'll get her heart broken, doesn't matter what we try to do, I checked multiple patterns," she answered coldly. "It'll be best if we don't interfere at all."

"Even if we let Amethyst know this?"

"You can try," Garnet started. "But you know her well."

Pearl looked down and sighed. "I mean, she's a really cute human, but to fall in love with her? It feels wrong," She mentioned, looking up at Garnet again.

"That might have nothing to do with it," Garnet pointed her head to Bismuth behind Pearl, making her smile.