Chapter 34 - Colored pencils and brushes

Nevin comes to a stop, furrowing his brow

      Nevin comes to a stop, furrowing his brow. I approach him to find out the urgent reason, which surely cannot wait, causing us to stand in the middle of the sidewalk, obstructing the hurried crowd trying to squeeze past us. With a sigh, I pull him to the side to limit unwanted interactions with irritable people who curse at us shamelessly and without restraint, but Nevin still can't tear his eyes away from his phone, deepening the wrinkles on his forehead. I stretch my neck, but all my efforts are in vain, as they are not enough to distinguish the letters from the fleas. Seeing my despair, Nevin hands me the phone and continues on his way as if nothing had happened. I run after him because he has already put enough distance between us, and when I catch up to him, I grab his wrist to prevent us from getting separated in the crowd. While he rants, muttering indecipherable words and pulling me towards the dormitory, I start to read the novel I received from Harlyn.

      I remain stunned, and I almost mimic my friend's earlier actions. I reread the message to make sure I haven't misinterpreted it, but the sentences are formulated very concisely and clearly, with a sense of urgency and irritation. I blink, but the words remain the same. I thought Nevin was being dramatic again, but his reaction is well-founded and entirely credible, especially since mine almost mirrors his.

      "Why would she write something like that to you?" I ask, more in retrospect than to Nevin, because I'm fairly certain that even he has no idea, and his silence confirms this.

      I feel anger coursing through my veins at a dizzying speed, and my first impulse is to call Harlyn and give her a piece of my mind because there is not a shred of truth in any of those words. Nevin would never do anything she accused him of.

      Nevin shrugs, letting go of my hand as we are already in front of the dormitory gate. I greet the doorman, who recognizes me but is too busy interrogating some students he stops every time, so he can't answer me. He's fixated on a few of them, and those ones never get away, not even with sweet words or gifts, as he is a very determined and unwavering person.

      The thought of having to go to my room, which I share with Harlyn, fills me with disgust. All I want is to not be around her anymore, especially after she hurt my best friend, who probably won't even admit his own pain in front of me, judging by the indifferent attitude he's adopted. His silence is driving me crazy, and although I'm not necessarily an impulsive person, I feel like I'm on the verge of becoming one, as over these months, I've witnessed Nevin's maturation and growth. I hope it won't all go to waste because of a girl he still likes after all this time. His loyalty is admirable, but her choices and the fact that she's been with every boy but him in the meantime...

      "We'll see each other tomorrow," Nevin says, turning his back to me and heading towards the boys' dormitory building.

      After a moment of hesitation, I walk towards him, stopping him. He gives me a confused look, any other sign of emotions vanishing from his face. I strongly wish to give him a wake-up slap that would bring him back to reality.