CHAPTER 3

ESMERALDA

"Hello?" 

I took off my pumps and held them in my hands as I approached him. He still hadn't noticed me or he pretended to not hear anything. 

His back stiffened at the sound of a twig snapping under my feet.

"Darn it."

Halting in my tracks as he glanced at me. Shiny black hair, grey stormy eyes, plump pink lips, slightly crooked nose that had a scar over it and perfectly trimmed eyebrows, there was another scar on the left one, obviously from sword fights. His face was as cold as an iceberg, like he didn't give two cents about anything. He stared at me like I had two heads.

Get on with it.

"Your majesty, are you alright?" I asked inching closer to him. He gazed at me following my every movement. His lips twitched  and his eyes shone with amusement. Right, the sight of my disheveled hair and shoes in my hand was that amusing.

He nodded, turning away from me. 

"May I sit?" There was a certain urge to talk to him, he was breathtaking. I had never thought I would say this about a man, but here I was. Clearing my throat I began, I was going to force a conversation with him. Something about his aura, it was like a mystery I wanted to unravel.

"Pray, tell me, to what do I owe this unsolicited interruption?" I had thought the queen was authoritative but he was more commanding. His voice and gaze held so much dominance, it would make anyone cower in fear and submission.

"I..."

"Nevermind, I will take my leave now. Enjoy." Without letting me utter a word he disappeared into the ballroom. Ignoring everyone that tried to stop him.

Well, that was harsh. He may not take lightly to friendly interruptions. He appeared nice and impeccable when I first saw him, but now he was just... Stuck up, full of himself. I should just go home, mother needs me.

The walk home wasn't exactly funny, I stepped on a lot of twigs, I hope I don't end up paralyzed. I failed my mission today. I needed to farm enough berries tomorrow because my mother's medicine was almost finished. 

Finally, home. My safe place, now I didn't have to put up a front and act strong. Mother was fast asleep, she had to take her bath and medications. I started to make some vegetable broth for her, hoping she would finish a bowl tonight.

"Mama, I'm back. Have you missed me? I won't go anywhere again, okay. I tried to get the job but I had failed woefully. I did get the Queen's blessings to court the duke, but that was out of my options. I barely know him and I don't think he liked the bit of information I shared with him. Even the duke didn't want anything to do with a commoner like myself, what more the prince." I sighed. 

The light glow on her face and steady breathing was the only sign that she was in fact still alive. I know she could hear me but she couldn't respond. 

"Don't worry mama. I might not have gotten the job but someday I will have enough money to pay for proper treatment. I will harvest a lot of berries tomorrow and since the first ball of the season just took place, there will be high demands for wine and berries. We will be alright by the end of the season."

The broth was ready and I brought it to her bed, blowing away the steams to reduce the heat. Surprisingly she finished it, it must taste good. I'll have some myself, but I need to put her to sleep first.

After taking her medication, I sang her a lullaby. After a while she was fast asleep now. It works every time.

"Hmm." The broth was that good, I would make a good cook. Maybe I should have asked to be a cook, the duke might have taken that into consideration.