CHAPTER 14

ESMERALDA

A strangled noise left my throat as I landed on the ground with a thud. This was supposed to be a fair combat, I believed I had made all the certain clarifications that I was much smaller and had no experience on the battle field than they did.

"Get back on your feet, Esmeralda. We have very little time to spare" Calix prompted. He was one of my most trusted men ever since I was dumped in the barracks.

It's safe to say many have warmed up to my presence seeing as it was not the first time a maiden was brought to train for battle with them. They had also lost count of the many that died and I had memorized each and every one of their names in the back of my head. At least I know why I was always hidden behind a cloak.

Mother, was the only person keeping me alive. I couldn't give two shams about my dreadful future. I wasn't going to die, for the sake of mama and myself. I was told that the only way to end the Queen's persecutions was if one survived a battle and many had failed to do that.

With a newfound strength I jumped back on my feet and delivered a blow to my opponents nose causing a trickle of blood out of it. I had grown tougher within the days and Calix and Archer were most proud of my outcome.

According to Calix, many just like me who were forced to be here either spent their days crying for their mama or worrying about their deeming beauty. They all fell into depression and ended up waiting for their death.

I of course were an exception, since the very first day I was thrown at Archer's feet. There was no sign of fear in my eyes, only confusion. It was no surprise as I wasn't of the aristocratic society. I didn't spend my days basking in warm rose baths dreaming of which eligible bachelor would be present at any social gathering to sweep me off my feet. Nor did I lay in lavish dresses and warm silk beddings while maids scurry around my room getting things done on my behalf. My skin was thick and used to wooden cuts and the harsh rays of the sun. All the days of running around thick grass and deep forestry had me more prepared for the worst.

I've spent my early grown adult days taking care of mama and working to provide. Loosing my hair wasn't much of a big deal, it had no use on the battle field. And since the incident with the Commander, blood was starting to be a normal sight for me.

It was almost dusk and I have to win this last combat. Calix and Archer were like proud fathers watching me take out my opponents without any weapons. They had taught me well indeed.

With the scope for freedom in the back of my head, I kicked my opponent in the calf causing a crack to sound in the air followed by a string of profanities leaving his lips before he landed on the floor. Cheers erupted in the air and I was lifted up and carried around. Calix had called for a celebration by the little camp fire centered at out tents.

Archer stood beside me handing me a cup of beer making me grimace at the bitter liquid. Calix noticed immediately rubbing my back and shaking his head, I knew I didn't have to drink it.

"Cheers to Esmeralda, cheers to strength and hope!" Archer shouted earning a boisterous answer from the crowd of merry men. We had just one day before the big battle and everyone seemed to be happy. One for the fact that they were well prepared for the battle and two for the fact that I was more than ready to fight. That's lead to the saying, 'I might not be able to use a quill, but at least I can handle a sword'.

The clanks of steel rang through the cool air as they all gulped down their beer. I handed mine back to Archer and he downed it almost immediately.

"We ran out of wine, I hope you don't mind," he said pulling me away from the crowd.