「Chapter 9」

The setting sun cast an orange glow across the Gilbert's sprawling estate. Elias and Enzo stood hand-in-hand at the front gate, neither wanting to let go.

Enzo's face was lined with worry, his dark eyes searching Elias's. "I wish you didn't have to leave," he said softly.

Elias gave a bittersweet smile. "I know, but I've been gone for two days. They're probably worried after everything..." He trailed off.

Enzo squeezed his hand, his thumb gently caressing. His eyes softened with understanding. "I just got you back. It doesn't feel real yet." He slowly pulled Elias into an embrace, one hand cradling the back of his head, the other firm around his back.

Elias relaxed into the hug, comforted by Enzo's familiar warmth and scent of sandalwood. He ran his hands slowly down Enzo's back, feeling the muscles still weakened from the years of torture. 

"I'll see my family and then I'll be back before you know it" he murmured.

Since freeing Enzo from Augustine's endless agony, Elias had scarcely let him out of his sight. After decades strapped to a table and treated as less than human, Enzo thought his life was over. But one look from Elias' kind eyes, and he knew he never wanted to part from him.

Enzo buried his face in Elias' shoulder, fighting the irrational fear that he might disappear. "Hurry back," he whispered.

Elias held him tighter, smiling gently. He pressed a soft kiss to Enzo's neck, silently vowing that he would never suffer such torment ever again.

As the door creaked open behind them, they reluctantly pulled apart, hands lingering.

As soon as they parted, Elias turned to find an angry, concerned Jenna standing in the open doorway, arms crossed as she looked at him disapprovingly.

Behind her were Elena and Jeremy, both with dark circles under their eyes signaling a sleepless night. As soon as they saw Elias, his siblings rushed forward, nearly knocking him over as they pulled him into a tight hug.

"Oh my god, Elias!" Elena cried, clutching the back of his jacket like she was afraid he'd disappear again. "We were so worried when you didn't come home."

Jeremy just hugged Elias fiercely, seeming almost on the verge of tears.

Elias held them both, a pang of guilt striking him for worrying his family. "I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to scare you. I'm okay, I promise." 

Jenna stepped forward, arms still crossed. "You can't just disappear for days without a word, Elias. We had no idea where you were or what happened to you." Her tone was sharp but Elias could hear the relieved care underneath.

"I know, I'm really sorry Aunt Jenna," he said earnestly. With a sad smile to Enzo, he allowed his siblings to pull him into the house, the door closing between them.

--------

Elias now sat in his room on his bed facing the ceiling.

Aunt Jenna had grounded him. He understood why she was upset, but being stuck in his room all day was not very fun.

With a sigh, Elias turned to face the door, attempting to close his eyes for a nap.

Suddenly, he heard a faint whoosh and opened his eyes. Turning to the window, he found Damon standing there with his signature smirk.

"Grounded? What did you do, stay out past your bedtime?" Damon quipped.

Elias rolled his eyes, though he couldn't help a small smile spreading across his face. Trust Damon to find amusement in his predicament.

"Something like that," Elias muttered in response.