「Chapter 21」

"Okay, so you're saying you have visions and you have 8 other soulmates? And a powerful evil being is coming?" Marcel asked, brow furrowed in confusion. "And all the Mikaelson brothers are your soulmates?"

Elias gave a single nod of confirmation as he watched Marcel process this, his arms crossed tightly over his chest.

"Even Kol and Finn?" Marcel followed up, seeming stuck on this detail.

Elias let out a weary sigh, shaking his head slightly. "Is that really the most important takeaway here?"

Marcel just shrugged defensively. "It's a lot to wrap my head around."

"Clearly," Elias muttered dryly. He rubbed his temples as if fighting off the beginnings of a headache.

"Look, the specifics don't really matter right now. The point is, people are coming, things are coming. And we need to prepare for it."

Marcel scoffed lightly. "Forgive me if I don't find that the most comforting thought at the moment."

"I'm sure it isn't," Elias replied evenly. "But you asked for the truth. I'm giving it to you straight, without embellishment."

He held Marcel's gaze steadily. "I don't expect you to understand. Not yet at least."

Marcel considered Elias warily, clearly still trying to process everything. Finally, he spoke in a low tone, "Then make me understand. Tell me everything."

Elias sighed heavily. "I did tell you, Marcel. You need to be prepared for changes."

Marcel raised a questioning brow. "Changes? What changes?"

"Big changes," Elias replied cryptically.

Marcel's eyes narrowed. "Anything to do with my city?"

Elias rolled his eyes in exasperation. "Especially your city," he said, voice dripping with mocking sarcasm.

He turned and headed for the door. Marcel tensed. "Where are you going?"

"Out," Elias stated flatly, not even looking back. "I've already spent far too much time indulging your ignorance and arrogance today."

Marcel bristled at the insult. "Hey! I'm not done with you yet. We have much more to discuss."

Elias paused with his hand on the door handle. He half-turned to pin Marcel with a cold, appraising look over his shoulder. 

"On the contrary," he stated in a chilling tone. "I'm quite finished discussing anything with you for now."

Marcel could only stare as Elias turned and exited, the door closing heavily behind him.

————

Elias burst into the resort lobby, frustration burning in his steps. His jaw was tight and his brow furrowed as he scanned the room, seeking some small comfort or maybe just a quiet space to gather his thoughts.

But fate had other ideas. Sprawled on a plush couch as casual as could be was Damon, looking for all the world like he didn't have a care. Elias couldn't decide if he envied or resented Damon's nonchalance.

"Well, well, look who decided to grace us with his presence," Damon drawled, sarcasm dripping from his words. "What's got you so hot and bothered on this fine day?"

Damon's smirk faded as he took in the distress on Elias's face. "Hey, what's going on?" he asked, real concern in his voice now.

Elias managed a sad half-smile before collapsing next to Damon on the couch.

"I'm tired," Elias sighed as he felt Damon wrap his arms around him. He leaned into Damon's embrace, letting the warmth and solid strength ease some of the tension that had been building all day.

Damon didn't press or pry, just held Elias close and waited patiently for him to gather his thoughts. 

That was one of the things Elias appreciated most about Damon - he never demanded or pried or made Elias feel weak for needing support.

Damon planted a couple soft kisses on Elias's neck, causing him to crack a small smile despite his distress.

"What, trying to cheer me up?" Elias asked, lifting an eyebrow.

"Maybe," Damon chuckled. "Is it working?"

"Mmm, don't stop now if you want it to," Elias teased lightly, angling his neck to give Damon better access. 

More kisses fell on his sensitive skin, each one sending a pleasant tingle through his body. For a moment, wrapped in Damon's strong embrace, Elias could push back the dark emotions that had overwhelmed him earlier.

Damon continued trailing light kisses up Elias's neck, nipping gently at his earlobe before whispering, "Well, if you insist..."

Elias sighed, the sensation of Damon's breath warm against his skin sending a shiver down his spine. 

He leaned further back into Damon's broad chest, feeling the firm muscle there. Damon's hands drifted down Elias's sides, thumbs rubbing gentle circles. 

The subtle touches soothed Elias even as they awakened a growing heat low in his belly.

Elias concentrated on the pleased hum vibrating through Damon as he placed a line of kisses along Elias's jaw.

Damon chuckled, the sound reverberating pleasantly through Elias's back. 

His hands slid back up to wrap Elias in a tight embrace. "Now talk to me, love. Tell me what's going on in that head of yours..."

Elias sighed, sinking back into Damon's sturdy frame. "I just feel so much pressure lately. From expectations of what my future should hold, even from myself. I don't know if I'm doing the right thing or making the right choices."

He turned his head, meeting Damon's patient gaze. "And these visions...they show me potential futures, ways I might be able to make changes for the better. But what if that power ends up changing too much? I'm scared I'll mess things up somehow."

Damon hugged Elias tighter, grounding him with his strength and warmth. "No one has all the answers. All you can do is use your gift wisely. And I'll be right by your side no matter what happens."

Elias nodded slowly, comforted by Damon, but he still felt the weight of responsibility bearing down on him, but somehow it seemed more manageable with Damon there to shoulder it with him.

"I don't know what will come next," Elias admitted softly, a note of despair in his voice.

Damon let out a quiet sigh, his arms tightening around Elias in a fierce, protective hold. "Hey now, don't worry too much," he murmured.

Elias leaned into Damon's embrace, drawing comfort from his solid strength. Still, his anxieties refused to abate. "But so much could go wrong. With these visions--"

"With these visions, you could do so much good," Damon interrupted gently. Elias quieted, looking up at him.

Damon cupped Elias's face in his hand. "I know you don't see it, but you have a true gift for understanding people and bringing out their humanity."

He brushed his thumb over Elias's cheek. "I'm not good at that stuff like you are. But you? You could reshape the future for the better if you believe in yourself."

Elias blinked back grateful tears, covering Damon's hand with his own. His anxieties hadn't disappeared, but Damon's steadfast faith in him was like a ray of sunlight piercing the gloom.

"With you by my side, maybe I can find the courage to try," Elias said thoughtfully. He offered Damon a watery smile. "We do make a pretty good team, don't we?"

Damon grinned. "The best. Together, who knows what we might do?"

∘₊✧─────────────────────✧₊∘