CHAPTER THIRTY-THREE - I Am Not At Fault

True to Umamah’s words, she was swamped throughout the day. By the time she returned to take her seat at her office, it was almost 3:00pm. There was a knock on her door and she let the person in.

It was Sheryl. One of the receptionists. “I am sorry to bother you ma’am, but I couldn’t just place a call to you because of how dire the situation is “ Sheryl was a bit agitated.

“What is it?” Umamah asked calmly.

Sheryl hesitated for a moment before she said “there is a little girl at the reception. She says she is looking for her father.”

Umamah gave a questioning look. And how is that her problem?

“She says her father is… Mr. Faisal.”

Mayeesha? “Is she alone?”

“Yes ma’am.”

Without a second thought, Umamah came to her feet and followed Cheryl out of the office.

Mayeesha was holding a small school bag and a Barbie doll. She was seated quietly at the receptionist’s table. When she saw Umamah approach, she gave a small hesitant smile and stood.

Umamah found her heart warming up to the little girl. She bent down so that she is the same height as the little girl. “Hey pretty Mayeesha. Assalaam’alaykum.”

The girl’s hesitant look didn’t budge “I… am sorry to bother you Auntie Umamah, but can I see Dad, please?”

She was so polite. Almost like an adult. Umamah glanced around the reception area as she asked with a smile in her lip. “Why are you alone Mayeesha?”
eptionist, Sheryl, seeing Umamah and the girl actually did know each other, heaved a sigh of relief and quietly excused herself. Umamah did not doubt that this was going to be a huge topic fwarninerip at the office.

“Mom said I should spend some hours with Dad. She will pick me up from on her way back.”

“Okay darling. Where did Mom go?” Umamah asked the girl, once again glancing around the area.

“Mom works with Aunt Sophia and the girl. It’s not in town.”

Umamah got more than the answer she sought. Her first instinct was to hold the girl by the hand and lead her to her office. But then, she recalled her father’s stern warning. Well, this didn’t count right? The girl came to her, not the other way round.

To be on the safest side, she brought out her cell and dialed Faisal. At the first two dials, there was no response. If she dialed him a third time, he would really be worried something had happened. She didn’t want him losing concentration in his meeting. Umamah went back on her knees and patted the girl by the head. “Have you had something to eat?”

She nodded. “What’s wrong Aunt Umamah? Daddy doesn’t want to see me?” she sounded terribly sad.
Umamah quickly said “No sweetheart. Daddy is in a meeting. He isn’t even here. So, I bet he will return our call once he can.”

The girl gave a forlorn expression. “Everyone is always busy.”

Umamah’s heart went out to her. “Well, I am not. Do you want to do something while we wait for your dad’s call?”

Hope and excitement ignited in Mayeesha’s eyes. “Will I not be disturbing?”

“Absolutely not, darling. Come. We can grab some snacks before we go upstairs and you must tell me all about yourself.”

Seeing that Umamah was interested in hearing about her, the girl’s eyes lit with happiness. “Do you know how to help a writer out of a block?” she asked.