CHAPTER FORTY-EIGHT - An Anticipated Great Event

A week after, Umamah had just wrapped up her Qur'an and Tafseer classes, when she stumbled upon Mayeesha in the living room with her notepad. The girl looked happy. When she looked up to see Umamah, she rushed to her.

"I am done, Aunt Umamah. I am done. My story is done." Her excitement was palpable.

Umamah took her seat and took the note from the girl. "Let's see..." she scanned through and said. "I am so proud of you, darling. Now, this would make it your fifth early chapter book, right?"

She nodded. "I also completed my fifth picture book when you and Daddy were away."

"Ten books!" Umamah exclaimed. "You are an exceptional author." She didn't flatter the girl. She truly felt that Mayeesha was a very achieved young girl. She didn't want her interest to wane, so she asked her. "What do you want to do now?"

"Publish them of course!" the girl announced.

Immediately, Umamah picked up her phone and said, "I know of a few publishing houses. Let's call them and have the steps finalized, okay? But before then. Do you recall what I told you about Istikharah?"

The girl's eyes glowed. "I made it Auntie Umamah. I made it every day since you told me about it. Listen, I have even memorized the du'a."

Umamah was astounded, but pleased. The girl was just too bright. "Then, let's make the call."

Myeesha nodded s she plunged herself beneath her step-mother. sometimes, Umamah thought the girl was too mature for her age. Only when she discussed her books does she act like eleven years old. Her entire emotions were exposed then, to anyone who cared to look.

They took the next three hours discussing with the publisher. They connected her with their illustrator for her picture book and an editor. The Maid which Faisal refused to let go since their return served them launch in the living room. As the ate, Umamah made calls. She reached out to some children book authors she saw on line and asked them to review Myeesha's books. She began contacting those who will market the book other than the Publishing house itselff.

By the time Faisal retired home from his Islamic lecture, he met his living room in a mess. His first instinct was to demand for explanation, but he held it in when he saw Myeesha bent over her computer in a video call with someone. His daughter merely acknowledged his presence.

"Assalaam'alaykum. Welcome Daddy." And she continued to listen to what the woman from the other end of the call was saying attentively.

Umamah walked out of the kitchen then. "Assalaam'alaykum. You are back." Her voice was low as she pulled him towards the stairs, motioning for him to not say a word. Upstairs, she hugged him. "I know that look in your eyes, and I am going to explain in a bit, in shaa Allah, but tell me first, how did the lectures go?"

"It was rejuvenating." He said, and looked down at her. As though to say 'Now speak what's going on!'

"Come on! You just arrived. Aren't you hungry or thirsty? How about I run you a warm bath..."]

"Ummie..."

"Fine!" she said, pulling her lips into a thin line. "We are publishing our books!"

Faisal rose a brow. By 'we', he knew she meant Myeesha. Suddenly, the entire situation explained itself. He pulled her into his arms and his expression softened even more. "You are working too hard these days."

Ignoring him, she continued. "Can you believe that your daughter has ten books?" At his wide-eyed expression, she continued. "And we are trying to see how end of this month will be possible."

Faisal smiled. "A new author who is launching her books three weeks after completion. Is there anything money can't solve?"

"Death, Allah's trials." Umamah reminded playfully, and in a more serious note, she said, "Well, Faisal Abdurrahman is a very capable man."

He rose a brow. "How much is publishing house charging you for this emergency work?"

She grinned, winked at him and raised three of her fingers.

"Thirty Million Naira?" He asked, casually.

Umamah was dumbfounded. What did he take me for? Someone that can be cheated so easily? She thought. Then, out loud, she said, "3 million Naira! Mayeesha will take 70% of the profits at first sale. But if they meet their target audiences and markets like schools at the launch date, and are able to secure up to are able to secure up to 20 schools who wants her books, then, their percentage increases to 40%.

Faisal took his seat on the couch in the room and pulled her to sit on his thigh. "So, what you are saying, is, the publishing house handles everything. Illustration, editing, printing, distribution for the start price of 3M and 30% from the first sales profit. Subsequently, they just publish and distribute to their clients and Myeesha gets 60% of each sale?"

Umamah nodded and he grinned. "You drive a hard bargain, my darling wife. Which publishing house did you cheat like this?

Umamah smirked. "It isn't cheating. Do you know what 40% of all her ten books will amount to?"

"They use their materials and resources."

"Before? Mayeesha is just a kid. She will need an agent though. And that... I leave to you." She said, and came to her feet. "So, what do you say dear father of the Author?"

He chuckled and Umamah thought it was a beautiful sound. He came to his feet, towering over her, he said, "That, in shaa Allah, it's going to be a very hectic three weeks from now."

***

His words followed through. Faisal made certain he was involved in all the steps of the book launch. He canceled official appointments and trips. He made sure that all Muslim schools in Abuja and Lagos were invited for the book Launch. He didn't have to, but he did. It was a week to the event when copies from all the books arrived. They went through, and to their surprise, it was all too perfect.

Naturally, the moment even the publishing house found out whose daughter was launching the books, it became the event of the year for them. Faisal used his most grand Hotel to host the event.

Three days to the event, Mayeesha stood in the living room, rehearsing her speech when the door's alarm rang. The maid returned with the fashion designer who took all their measurements for the event. Faisal and Umamah insisted that new outfit must be sown for everyone. Faial would also seize the opportunity to announce that Mayeesha was his daughter to the world. Clearly, someone couldn't wait to show off his daughter.

The clothes were a perfect fit for everyone, and the fashion designers were dismissed.

At dinner, Umamah's phone beeped and she saw it was a message from Harvard. Everything had been concluded. Faisal had made certain she had gotten a dorm very close to the school. It was a villa he had purchased actually and it housed five massive rooms up and three downstairs. Despite her protest, he ignored them. He had said he wanted her to be comfortable. She wasn't to cook anything or bother with laundries. Several helps would go with her to the UK, plus he would be visiting her every week, In shaa Allah.

Amidst the joy at the table, with the family of three and all their helps, Faisal got a message from his investigator. It was in bold caps an t read three simple words. WE FOUND HER.

Subconsciously, he glanced at Umamah who was happily chatting with Mrs. Faatimah, the cook, and then, typed a reply to Humaid.

***

Thoughts?