X - Meet Me In The Gardens

She was in the midst of polishing the furniture when a servant arrived with a message from the nobleman. Her hands trembled as the note was delivered to her.

She recognised his handwriting and opened the note with trembling fingers.  To her surprise, the note was an invitation to the nobleman's garden. She read the note a second time, unable to believe her eyes.

"He wants to meet me," she says silently to herself. He seriously wanted to meet her?

Seriously? Meiza had avoided her like the plague since their exchange weeks prior. He had made it clear he didn't want to see her face again. But now, Meiza - the nobleman wanted to see [Y/N], he wanted to see her.

She didn't understand why he had invited her to his gardens after weeks of avoiding her. She wondered if he had ulterior motives or if this was simply a way to show her he was still in control. 

But whatever the reason, she knew that she had to be on her guard, to be careful not to give him any reason to mistreat her again.

With a deep breath, [Y/N] gathered her composure, her heart pounding with fear and uncertainty. She knew this invitation was not an act of kindness or an attempt to reconcile.

This was a test.

A test of her obedience, an examination of her willingness to comply with his orders. She knew that she had to accept the offer to show him to show Meiza that she could be trusted.

She straightened your back and went to the gardens, where the nobleman awaited. He stood in the middle of the flowerbeds, his arms crossed, one leg crossed over the other. His eyes were fixed on you as you approached, watching her every step.

"Let's proceed, [Y/N]," he said, the hint of a smile on his lips but his eyes still cold. He gestured for her to walk alongside him, and you did, feeling the grass brush against your ankles with each step. She could not help but marvel at the beauty of the garden.

The flowers were in full bloom, scent filling the air and adding to the already ethereal atmosphere. The former maid was in awe of the sheer beauty and wonder around her, yet it was quickly overshadowed by the nobleman's cold and distant presence.

Walking beside Meiza made her uneasy like she was walking on eggshells. She knew that one wrong move, one wrong word, and he would lash out. She needed to be careful, to be on her best behaviour at all times, but she could not shake the feeling of foreboding that hung over her like a cloud. The maid lowered her gaze, trying to blend into the garden's surroundings as she followed the nobleman's lead.

Despite her caution, there was a part of her that longed to be by his side, to share in the beauty of the garden with him. But her fear of him won out, and she remained silent and distant as they walked through the flowerbeds, her heart heavy with uncertainty and confusion.

Soon enough, he comes to a stop in some grassy field. He gestured for you to do the same.

"Do you know where we are?" He asks pointedly. His eyes bore into you mercilessly, a slight frown marring that perfect face. There's a cold edge to his tone that could probably make any other person cower.

"Your personal garden... The garden that you tether to yourself.." You respond hesitantly.

A small crack appears in his facade.

"If you know where we are... then you know what comes next."

Meiza's voice was still hard as steel, but there was a slight change in tone in addition to that crack in the ice.

"Sit down." He commanded and pointed towards the ground as if speaking to an incapable child.

You follow the nobleman's gesture and sit down, the grass prickling against your debilitated legs and ankles. You exchange a nervous glance with Meiza and find his gaze locked onto you, his eyes boring into your very soul as if he were trying to look inside you and see what you were really thinking. There was a cold edge to his tone, but there was also a tiny crack in the ice as if he were trying to show some tiny shred of mercy.