03. 𝘸𝘦𝘭𝘤𝘰𝘮𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘧𝘪𝘨𝘶𝘳𝘦 𝘦𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵

I hate goodbyes, I suppose no one actually enjoys them, but you don't really think about saying goodbye until you're faced with it. I know I'm not actually leaving the island, and I'll still be able to see my friends as often as I want, but it feels like the end of an era and a shift in what I assumed the trajectory of my life would be.

I've been awake for almost an hour, but it feels like I've already been awake half a day. When I got back last night my parents gave me a proper grilling, because of course my mother being the kind hearted woman she is, dropped by at the Heyward's place and offered to get them some groceries, and Mr Heyward was incredibly confused.

But I think deep down they do get it, that I would do anything for my friends, they both grew up as pogues so it's all we've ever known, until now. I've seen pictures of my parents when they were my age, and they looked like actual hippies. My dad was best friends with John B's dad from school up until he disappeared, so by default so were John B and I.

My room is now a shell of what it once was, all my furniture is gone, the blinds have been removed from the windows, letting the sunny morning haze dance across the bare wood floor. The walls that were once littered with posters are now completely bare except for a few spots of blue tack.

"Are you ready?" My mum appears at my open bedroom door with a reassuring smile, a tote bag slung over her shoulder and her hair tied back, probably due to the heat combined with the move.

"I think so." I smile, half heartedly, following her out of my bedroom and out through the kitchen, spotting my dad right outside the front of the house, putting the last couple of boxes into the truck, my favourite view of the open water behind him. I head outside, to offer him some help with the boxes, and he looks up at me with his typical gentle smile.

"There's some people here to see you." He gestures to the left of our house.

I look over my shoulder to see my four best friends leaning against the twinkie, and I know I said this isn't a forever goodbye, but the fact they came makes it feel more real, and makes me feel even more loved.

"What are you guys doing here?" I ask as I approach them.

"We couldn't let you leave the cut without saying goodbye." Pope smiles.

"You didn't have to do that, we're only moving to Figure Eight." I sigh, smiling at their endearing gesture. I try not to overthink it though, I try to tell myself that they don't think they're losing me, that they don't think I'm going to become a kook and pretend I never knew them, because I have no intention of doing anything of the sort.

"We're going to miss you Sid, even though we'll still see you all the time," Pope tells me, opening his arms to give me a hug, which I accept, "Look after yourself."

I let go of him to then be greeted by Kiara, wordlessly giving me a hug before whispering, "Thank you for being the sister I never knew I needed."

"Always," I reply, squeezing her gently, "This isn't the end, we're basically neighbours now."

I let go of her, moving on to say goodbye to John B, who despite being two months younger than me, is like the older brother I never had, "Promise me something?" He smiles softly.

"What?" I ask, feeling a lump begin to form in my throat.

"Don't give up hoping." I know exactly what those words mean, he's referring to our shared experience of both separately losing someone we care about. Now that he's found his Dad's compass I see that hope in his eyes that disappeared about five months ago, and he's got that fight back in him.

"I promise," I nod, wrapping my arms around him, "We'll find them both, one day."

After a moment of preventing myself from crying I let go, ready to say my last goodbye to JJ, standing directly in front of him, feeling like I could cry at any moment, not because this is a forever goodbye, but because I fear that moving to Figure Eight will only drive a wedge between my friends and I.