11. 𝘫𝘶𝘴𝘵 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘵𝘰𝘯𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵

"Morning sunshine." I smile at JJ, as I wait on the edge of the jetty, grabbing his hand as he holds it out for me to climb onto the boat, before I follow him into the driver's cabin, dumping my bag on the floor as he steers us into the centre of the water.

We're putting the plan into action today, and It's the perfect weather for it, glorious OBX sunshine. I put on my favourite red bikini this morning and a pair of denim shorts, assuming I'd end up in the water at some point anyway. JJ is equally prepared, sporting a pair of board shorts and a pair of sunglasses.

We've taken Pope's Dad's boat for the sake of this plan, and it's a lot nicer than HMS Pogue, which has certainly seen better days.

"How's things?" He asks, steering us further alongside Figure Eight as we pass all the impressively large houses, on our way to collect Sarah and John B from Tanny Hill as planned.

"Fine," I nod, "It's still weird not living down the street from you."

"I know," He agrees, "I also really miss your Mum's cooking."

"You know you're welcome anytime J," I assure him, "My parents adore you."

"It's still so crazy that all our parents went to school together," He sighs, "I can't imagine our dads ever being friends."

"I don't think they were," I reply, "I think they only ever tolerated each other."

"My Dad has never been very good at the whole friendship thing," He tells me, "It kind of makes me think one day I'll just lose all you guys."

"JJ, that's bullshit, I don't know what your dad gave you in the gene pool but it wasn't his personality, you're nothing like him." I insist, deciding that now is as good a time as any to slip my shorts off, leaving me in just my swimsuit, for the inevitable moment when we have to jump overboard.

"If you say so." He huffs as we get closer to Tanny Hill.

"I know so." I assure him.

"What do you think about the gold?" He asks me, "Do you think we're chasing a dream?"

"I think it's possible that it's still out there," I nod, "And if it's not, I don't know what John B will do."

"Talk of the devil," JJ replies, gesturing to the decking at the back of Tanny Hill, John B and Sarah waiting for us with smiles on their faces which I appreciate greatly after yesterday.

I slip out of the cabin, heading to the front of the boat to greet John B and Sarah, "Morning lovebirds," I chime, holding a hand out to Sarah to help her onto the boat.

"Morning Sid," John B smiles as we quickly do the pogue handshake.

"You two ready for a day out on the open water?" I ask as I lead them into the driver's cabin where JJ is waiting.

"Absolutely," Sarah smiles, seeming a lot more upbeat since yesterday's disaster with Kiara.

"So is this like some kind of double date thing?" John B adds as a joke, and if it weren't for today's plan I would be pushing him overboard.

"That is exactly what this is." JJ nods in agreement as my phone buzzes in my bag.

I crouch down to where I previously dumped my bag, pulling out my phone to see a text from Rafe.

Rafe: Red looks good on you.

I attempt to subtly glance over my shoulder, to see if he's standing on the Camerons' jetty, but he's nowhere to be seen, meaning he's probably up in the house somewhere and just saw me from a distance.