41. 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘤𝘰𝘢𝘴𝘵𝘢𝘭 𝘷𝘦𝘯𝘵𝘶𝘳𝘦

We've been driving all night, trying to follow Rose's car. She took us on a wild goose chase, that's for sure. I'm convinced she's headed for the wharf, but if she is then she's taking the most indirect route I've ever witnessed. I'm assuming she thought she'd be able to lose us if she did that, but she forgets that we were brought up on these streets.

I'm assuming that Rafe is heading towards the wharf with the truck too, meaning we'll be rejoining Pope soon. I'm not sure if Kiara knows what's going on, none of us have been able to check in with her.

We pull up just outside of the boatyard, the twinkie slowly coming to a stop as weak fumes escape the exhaust. Thankfully we're just out of sight of the front gate as we watch Rose's car head straight for the entrance. A place like this will be crawling with security, and knowing Rafe and his hunger for that gold cross, he's not going to let it slip through his fingers.

"We did it," John B sighs before looking at JJ and I.

"Now we've just got to get Sarah and the cross," I tell them both as we climb out of the van, watching as a large container truck approaches us.

"Security is tight, we'll have to head in behind this truck," JJ tells us as the truck passes us, "Now!"

The three of us run as light footed as we can, following after the truck as it reaches the boatyard entrance, stopping to speak to security. We take our chance and dart around the opposite side of the truck. As soon as it starts moving again we take our chance and run alongside it, successfully slipping into the boatyard undetected.

Having grown up with a father who worked in places like this, JJ knows the layout well, leading us around the back of a warehouse type building. We duck behind some building machinery, our eyes landing on a large container ship being loaded up with dozens of containers.

"It's the Coastal Venture," JJ whispers, "I know that ship, my Dad did legs on it last summer, it's a total tramp steamer."

"There's the cross, look," John B tells us, pointing to Rafe's truck, where I notice Rafe overseeing the cross being lifted onto the ship.

"There's Rafe, but where's Pope?" I ask the boys, feeling panic beginning to bubble in my gut.

"He can't be far," JJ assures me, "He would've peeled before getting to the yard."

"JJ's right, I'm sure Pope is fine." John B adds as we return our attention to Rafe.

"God, I hate that guy." JJ grits as we watch Rafe conversing with various yard and boat workers.

Rose's car pulls up behind Rafe's truck and I spot Rose rushing from the driver's seat, heading for Wheezie in the back as a random man helps Sarah out of the car on the other side.

"There she is," John B whispers.

"Shit." I mutter.

"Guys, we've got to come up with a plan." John B whispers as we watch the Cameron women making their way onto the boat.

"I know, I'm working on it," JJ tells us, "Maybe if we get over to that barge, we go over that way, but we'll have to get into the water."

"That's fine," John B insists.

"We'll be sitting ducks." JJ reminds him.

"Howdy." I almost jump out of my skin at the new voice, looking over my shoulder and instantly relieved to see Kiara accompanied by Pope.

"I was about to stab your eyes out," JJ hisses.

"It's so good to see you," I smile, wrapping Kiara and Pope in a quick hug before returning my attention to the group.