sixteen. DIVINE WINE

I'm hungry for you, my love
So come out and rescue me

I'm hungry for you, my loveSo come out and rescue me

trigger warning: assault

Carmen ran her finger down the crimson spine of the book, brushing her fingers across dark printed letters, 'Demise unto the Gates'. Her mind buzzed with anticipation as to why Billy Black had so highly regarded to novel, given his vague description of its containing legends of lands adjacent to our own where spirits linger. Knocked out of her reverie by the thunk of her sister tripping on the carpet at the end of the aisle, sheepishly, Bella gestured with her book that she was ready to go.

After paying for their books, the girls headed out of the store, each skimming through the pages. Although they may not be akin in appearance, they certainly made up for it in their adoration of literature. Most often, Bella with her threadbare copy of Withering Heights and Carmen with Rebecca.

"Which book did you get?" Carmen asked.
"Quileute Legends" Bella responded, "Jacob was telling me some of the tribe stories yesterday...hey did the Cullens tell you much of their family history?" Seeing Carmen's head shake, Bella continued, "Supposedly they're the enemy clan to the Quileute tribe, who were descended from wolves by the way. They'd been hunting on the tribe's land and promised to be different or something so they made a treaty with the tribe. If it were broken, they'd expose the Cullens to the pale faces." Uncharacteristically quiet, Carmen pondered the insight, lost in thought as the two mindlessly walked down a dingy path on the way to the restaurant
"Jake's grandpa was a furry?
"Of course, that's what you think of first" Bella rolled her eyes as the two headed into the alley that they'd taken on the way to the store.

As they took their first steps through the puddles littering the concrete, two tall figures twisted upon seeing the girls. With their fingers pointed and leering stares, the drunken swaggers of the men trudged after the girls who'd turned away to a side path.
"Bella, when I say run..." Carmen muttered, glancing around frantically.
"No. We go down together. Like you said; whether that be going down on Harry Styles or here," Bella whispered.
"Fudge, ok that was a good one" Carmen matched Bella's tone, noticing more men spawning in their escape route. "Remember; kick near their knee, scratch at their eyes, heel palm strike to nose and knee to dick."
Bella nodded, shivering as she did so.

Stuck between the group as the twins stood back to back, the men closed in around them. "Don't touch me" Bella asserted, causing her twin to glare over her shoulder at the men. Not having focused on those in front of her, one of the men whose greying sideburns met a rat-like beard, grabbed at Carmen's chin. "Fiery this one, bet she's hot under those-"
"Now Bella!" The tall twin yelled, striking wildly around her. Vicious as a tiger released from her cage, breaking limbs like her oppressors' whips between her bloodstained teeth. Red rained down on her as she leapt, thrashing her claws. Twisting to see Bella knee one in the groin, Carmen was yanked to the ground. She screamed like a banshee as the stones pricked at her skin, flailing and kicking as a course hand landed over her mouth.
Her heart sped like a racehorse, eyes wide as she used her fear as fuel. Storming forward from the pebbles, Carmen lashed at the man's eyes, scratching and clawing while champing at his fleshy fingers until blood hailed down on her like a storm.
At his first sign of faltering, she leapt out of his hold, crawling to her twin. With her heart pumping in her ears, she was deaf to the tires squealing across the concrete, blind to the headlights.
The men reached down to her leaped back as she staggered to her feet, the silver Volvo halting dangerously close. Rising to her full height, Carmen Swan looked like a goddess of war dragged from the sewers of hell, dripping with blood.

The doors of the car slammed open, a pale figure was in front of her in less than a second. Flames made of sea burned unflinchingly at darkness deeper than the night sky, a storm of hunger and fury.

"That was a dangerous manoeuvre" someone slurred and those pitch-dark eyes left hers. Jasper Hale leapt like a sea serpent through waves to his prey. A second later the man was flying straight at a brink wall. A sickening crack echoed throughout the deserted car park.

"Carmen..." A hand-like stone reached out to her, hesitating. "Get Bella out of here." Her eyes didn't leave the hurricane before her.
She heard Edward Cullen, as though underwater, distantly assure her reluctant sister that Jasper would never allow the blood-soaked twin to come to any harm.

Vaguely, Carmen heard the echo of her twin speeding away and the streetlights returned to their weary task of holding back the dark. The sheer speed and strength before her was otherworldly, wild yet there was grace in each act of viciousness. She watched his every movement, watched the slow torture as he moved between the men, allowing each a second of reprise before a tsunami of pain ensued.
But nothing could be more terrible than their screams as Jasper's teeth sunk in deep, draining them until their whimpers were silenced forever. Carmen felt monstrous for she could have drunk their suffering like divine wine.

When all was quiet again, just how the town liked it, Carmen felt the sheer weight of her exhaustion weigh down on her. Like waking from a restless nightmare more tired than ever.

Jasper stood frozen amongst the carnage, his back to her. His shoulders were tense, hands clutched into fists. Like those hands that gripped her mouth.
Carmen inhaled sharply, knocked from her shock as Jasper's heated stare shot straight at her. No, not those hands, Jasper's hands. Hands of marble, one for a tender caress and the other to hold on her own.
She took a step towards him but stumbled as a chorus of pain echoed through her weakened form.

Once more, Jasper was instantly before her, akin to Carmen's appearance as blood dribbled down his skin. Yet this time, a war waged in his eyes. Black battled against red and specks of gold, a hypnotising dance that regarded her, staring straight into her soul. She lifted hesitant fingers from her side, aching, yet as gentle as an ensemble of ballerina swans. They drifted like feathers across his cheekbone to his jaw. As she began to retract, he nuzzled into her palm, shocking her with his erratic movements. Eyes never leaving her own, his teeth grazed the skin under her pointer finger. Before sinking deeper, his lips closed, softly kissing the skin where his teeth had been.

Carmen pointed at the wall that the man collided with, now splattered with red. "I like what you..uh did with their blood over there...Jackson Pollock inspired?" Carmen asked, watching as the gold specks gleamed brighter before darkness swept her away into a cool embrace.