prologue.

Our love will see us through these dark, dark days sister
'Til it lights the way back home

Our love will see us through these dark, dark days sister'Til it lights the way back home

September 13th
1987

The chill of Forks that night would've been hard to bear if Charlie Swan were not so distracted.

A baby girl. Mere moments from birth. Isabella Swan, Charlie's (soon to be) pride and joy.

After hours spent cooped up in the hospital with his wife, Renée, a few moments of fresh air had become dire. Twigs snapped as he ambled his way into the dense forest, preoccupied with thoughts of the future that Isabella will bring. So preoccupied that the distance he'd travelled lengthened further than he'd anticipated. Maybe that was just chance...possibly even fate?
Either way, the childish cries that echoed through the trees were just enough to stir Charlie from his thoughts. At first, he thought it was it was his mind playing tricks on him after hours spent in the maternity ward, but the cries failed to cease.
So he followed, a flood of curiosity and concern bombarding his mind as he honed in on the weeps. 

Soon, Charlie came across a clearing, well, more so a...landing site. Branches were slung across the matted grass, fresh soil sprung over its surroundings, yet despite the chaos, the trees seemed to peer down at the curiosity from their heights above, bending to allow an eery red light to follow their gaze down to the forest floor.
The whispers of the wind entwined with the cries as Charlie continued to move toward it, the hair on the back of his neck rising with each step. Joining the red haze, he observed the source of the screams. A tiny baby, lying among the obliterated nature, arms flailing about as it screamed up a racket...a baby girl, a little fighter.
The icy breeze broke his state of shock, permitting him to hastily pick up the young child whose skin was as cold as ice to touch with the lack of garments to shield her from the night.
Then he ran, following the path he came as the moon's eye followed, all the way back to the hospital.
Who could leave a child like that? Where is her Mother? Father?

With the child zipped up under his jacket and gaining some vital warmth, he rushed through the hospital doors.
The nurse at the front desk hurried over to inform that his wife had very recently gone into labour, leading him to the room he had remained in for hours earlier.
Minutes later, Isabella arrived in this world, under the light of the blood moon.

Whilst his wife recovered, he revealed the other child, her soft skin slightly purple as Renée stared in shock, yet Charlie noticed the flickers of admiration haunting her eyes as she watched the child slowly drift to sleep in her husband's arms. Charlie gently passed her to the baffled doctors who cared for her as they had for Isabella.

After hours of investigations among the hospital and local area, no newborns appeared to be missing. The doctors confirmed that the baby girl must have been born within the hour that Charlie had found her yet no mothers were without their child.
The curiosity would be left like that, questions left unanswered.

So the new Swan parents didn't return to their home on the edge of the forest with one newborn as planned, by two.

Isabella and Carmen Swan.