Chapter 9 - Captious

Several more days passed without incident, much to her pleasure.

Lauren had busied herself with what little work she was able to pick up (thank you Mr. Jenkins). The small pocket change was nowhere near enough to even begin to fix her housing problem, but God damnit, she was going to take what she could get and nobody could say she didn't try. 

Megatron was growing impatient with himself. He hadn't a single solid idea on what he was to do. The decepticon knew his end goal, but first he had to get there and that was the hard part. On top of his festering impatience, he was growing antsy. He felt like a sitting sparkling. He longed, thirsted, for action. For a chance to plunge his claws into something and shred it. It had been a good while since he felt well enough to do so and he was becoming stir-crazy. But he'd wait a while more, biting his time for the moment that felt right.

What has become of his fellow decepticons?

He was entirely certain that they were being hunted by human military forces. If they were willing to turn on autobots, then they'd surely try to eliminate his men.

How the humans were accomplishing that feat, was a question in and of itself and he had a feeling he wouldn't like the answer. 

The 'why' didn't need to be answered.

"It's time to begin, isn't it? I get a little bit bigger, but then I'll admit I'm just the same as I was." Lauren sang along to the radio openly as she fiddled with the backside of a vintage fridge. If she could get it working, someone would buy it surely. It did need a new paint job though. She'd get to that later. 

She bobbed her head, singing along happily, her volume steady till the songs crescendo. "Now, don't you understand that I'm never changing who I am?"

Megatron was ripped from his thoughts by the femme's insistent vocalization. "What is with your racket, girl?!" He barked harshly. "Stop that vocalization."

Lauren startled slightly before turning to the imposing bot with a sheepish smile. "It's called 'singing'." She turned back to her hunk of metal-turned-project. "Figured you didn't want to talk to a lowly insect like me." Lauren teased sarcastically.

Megatron growled out in disdain. "Well, at least you are aware, human."

Shooting a look over her shoulder, Lauren sat up. "And here I thought we were becoming best friends." Her tone was playful as she wiped sweat from her brow.

The decepticon sneered at her words, his spark shuddered in disgust at the thought of such an association. Such a benighted species. "You are an insect worthy of cowering at my pedes."

She turned her form to face him fully and did a mock bow. "Yes, yes. All hail Lord Megatron." A giggle left her as she turned away to resume working.

Unknowingly, he puffed his chest out with a swell of pride. Oh, how he longed to be lionized once more, to have his decepticons chant his name to Primus and smite down all that even dared to oppose him. "Soon..." A small voice whispered through his processor. The small human femme before him was just the start in his soon to be upheaval. "That is a more efficient use of of your vocal processors girl, hailing your lord."

"Yeah? Well, don't get used to it big guy." Lauren dropped a handful of screws into her ever growing pile, rust stained her skin in various shades of copper and bronze. 

"Human insubordination will only further your downfall."

As if her species wasn't already dooming themselves. She hummed at his gruff words, but made no move respond as she retrieved a Philips head.