The Oligarchy

Like a spire, Saffron Unlimited towered near the heart of Redshore City, a skyscraper housing a menagerie of businesses and firms ranging from law to tech. Once, it was the tallest building in the city, but time marched on, and it was overshadowed by Crystal Entertainment. Saffron Unlimited didn't reach quite as high, didn't have the fancy signature, lacked the polished glass exterior that shimmered like the surface of the sea. But one thing it did have over Crystal Entertainment was the rooftop restaurant, Chateau de Starling, that drew patrons from all over the city and beyond. Today, Jimmy would be one of them.

"This is supposed to be daddy-daughter time," Porsha complained as she, Jerry, and her dad walked through the lobby of Saffron Unlimited. "I'm not supposed to be helping you run your errands. I'm Mr. Moon's intern now. I don't have as much free time."

"What could he possibly need an intern for? Keeping track of every lie he's ever told? Better hire a hundred more for that!" Jimmy chuckled at his own joke, though Porsha was less than amused and Jerry was too busy quaking like a fuzzball of anxiety and distress. "It's not an errand. I just need to check on something... I won't be long, baby. I promise."

They reached the elevator that was a straight shot to the restaurant. Jimmy could tell his daughter was still not pleased with this arrangement. "Look, it's almost like a mall on this level. Do some shopping while I'm gone. Buy yourself something nice, okay?" He stepped inside the elevator and Jerry began to follow until he saw the wolf shake his head in a quick, stiff motion. But the glare Jimmy was giving spoke much louder. Jerry quickly backed out of the elevator, shoulders hunched forward, hands awkwardly clutching the air before him.

When Jimmy was gone, Porsha looked to Jerry and asked, "What was that about?"

"I don't know what you're talking about," he replied, wringing his hands.

"My dad usually screams when he gets angry, but that look he gave you... what happened?"

"I-it's n-nothing."

Porsha frowned but let it go. She slid the pair of shades resting on her forehead over her eyes. "I'm gonna see if they do validation here. Then I'm gonna shop so hard Daddy will have to carry the bags back to the car. That'll teach him!"

---

"Mr. Crystal!" the young jaguar hostess exclaimed. "Your... the table is ready, sir. I can take you—"

"Don't bother, I know the way," Jimmy said. He barreled past the hostess and into the restaurant, through the twinkling light décor, murmurs, stares, and soft piano music, beyond the tables and booths nestled near sprawling windows. Soon he was at the outdoor seating half of the restaurant, famous for its sweeping view of the city and beyond. Petite trees dotted the area while ivy snaked along the glass railings. Sounds of water trickling from a small fountain coalesced with the music to serenade guests. The space had the feel and atmosphere of a rustic garden in the sky.

Jimmy made a beeline for the most powerful table in the city, where five members of the Redshore Oligarchy were already seated: White the moose, Sarbanes the polar bear, Astor the hyena, Dallas the opossum, and his old nemesis, McCray the walrus. He joined them at the table, sitting between Astor and White to stunned silence and relished in the stares and glares. Dallas was the first to recover and speak up.

"Well, well, well. Didn't think you had the cojones to show your face after everything that happened," the opossum said.

An alligator waiter tried to take Jimmy's order and was waved off. "I won't be here long. I just didn't want these losers thinking I was down and out."

"Crystal, it's all right if you need someone to cover your meal now that you're unemployed," White said, playfully sloshing the red wine in his grip. "We understand you've fallen on hard times."