Truth or dare

"Here, take it. My mom made me invite you. This wasn't my choice, just to let you know." Lucas said while shoving an invitation into my hands.

Lucas and I used to be really close; his mom and my mom have been friends since middle school. We've grown up together. Our moms met up once a week for their "tea time," which, in other words, just meant they got together and shit talked to everyone once a week.

About a year ago, I came out as a lesbian to my family and him. I thought he'd be supportive, but he's hated seeing me, refused to hanging out, and ignoring all my texts ever sense.

"Thanks." I said this as he turned around and started to walk away.

"Hey wait. Is Maddie going?" I asked,

"I gave her an invitation. Her and her boyfriend just broke up, so I don't know if she'll actually come. Why? You guys don't even talk." He asked.

I felt my cheeks starting to get hot. "No reason, just curious." I said, laughing off my anxiety.

"Whatever."

"Bye! Thanks for the invite again!"

He didn't say anything and continued to walk to his car.

So back to Maddie—well. She's really cool, funny, and pretty. And I have just the tiniest crush on her. Actually, no, I'll take that back. I've been hyper-fixating and obsessing over her for the past 3 months since she started going to my school.

She started dating Kevin; he's the popular kid, and everyone wants to be friends with him, or better yet, be him. He's the star of our football team and has perfect grades.

I have a tendency to fall for the straight girls, but something is different about Maddie. She always seems grossed out by the boys and disengages with her boyfriend when he comes around.

I opened the invitation, and a wax seal was placed directly in the center.

The invitation said:

You're invited to Lucas's 16th birthday.

July 22nd, 2024
1-5 @
"Escape the room."

1505 E. Carson St.
Floor 2
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15203
RSVP to Rachel 412. -***-****

**end of invitation**

I folded it back up and clutched it tightly in my hand, and I walked home in my worn-out black Converse, dark-washed ripped shorts, and black NASA hoodie. The weather wasn't too bad today, but thankfully it's a short walk home.

I arrived at home and opened the front door, immediately being greeted by Gaston, our golden retriever. I tossed my backpack at the edge of the staircase, then walked to the kitchen towards my mom. "Whatcha cooking?" I asked cheerfully.

"What's got you in such a good mood?" She asked.

I held up the invitation and said, "Lucas birthday."

"Oh, that's lovely! How old is he going to be? He's such a good kid."

"Hm, not really.. ever sense I came out to him; he's been a total assho-."

"LANGUAGE," my mom called out.

"Sorry," I said in a low voice.

"Anyways, continue."

"Ok, so he's been really mean since I came out to him about being a lesbian." My mom has always been really supportive of me, embracing myself, and discovering who I am.

So was Lucas's mom, but he didn't take it very well.

"I'm sorry, sweetie; I promise it'll get better soon," she said, handing me my dinner plate.