12

Dr. Juli (a gynaecologist and Dr. John’s sister) was analysing some of the patients’ reports, when her assistant Dr. Veronica entered.

Dr. V: Ma’am, a lady is here with her daughter for check-up. Should I send her in?
Dr. Ju: Yes please. What’s the patient’s name?
Dr. V: Sharon Hatter. She is the daughter of the lady, Mrs. Hatter.
Dr. Ju: Okay, call them in.

Dr. V nodded and called the lady and her daughter inside the cabin. Mrs. H greeted the doctor while Sharon just ignored her and was looking around the room with disinterest. Dr. Ju just smirked mentally at that.

Mrs. H: (whispering softly to Sharon) Greet the doctor, Sharon.
Sh: (rolling her eyes) Hello Dr.
Dr. Ju: Well, hello here. What brings you here today?
Mrs. H: Well, my daughter here suffers from terrible cramps during her periods. She also gets fever at that time. That’s the reason I brought her here for a check-up.
Dr. Ju: What is her age and when did she start her periods?
Mrs. H: She is 16 currently and she started her periods at the age of 12.
Dr. Ju: Okay. And has she been experiencing abdominal cramps since then?
Mrs. H: Cramps were there, but since the past 2-3 months, they have been very terrible. She cries for the entire day; they are so unbearable for her. She isn’t able to attend the college during the first 2 days of her periods.
Dr. Ju: Hmm… it can be because of infection. Let me check. Veronica, take her to the examination room and change her into our hospital.
Veronica nodded and asked Sharon to follow, who just shrugged with a disinterested face.
Dr. Ju: (after they left) A bit ill-mannered, I must say.
Mrs. H: (apologetically) I am really sorry for that. Also Dr., I wanted to request something.
Dr. Ju: What is that, Mrs. H?
Mrs. H: You will be doing a blood test, right?
Dr. Ju: Yes, it would be needed later on.
Mrs. H: Can you also check for alcohol and drug in the test? Actually, she has been acting out a lot lately. And I have also noticed her sneaking out to parties. She even lies to me about the same. I have scolded her badly for that and have also punished her, but she just doesn’t understand. I am worried if she has started drinking alcohol or doing drugs.
Dr. Ju: Don’t worry. We’ll check for the same at the time of her blood tests. First, let me check her for her cramps. Please follow me.
Both of them went to the examination room. There, they saw Sharon arguing with Dr. V.
Dr. Ju: (in stern tone) What’s happening here?
Dr. V: (with a sigh) Thank god, ma’am! You came. I have been asking her to remove her underwear as well for the pelvic exam, but she is just not co-operating.
Sh: (angrily) I am not letting anyone touch my private parts, understood?
Mrs. H: (raising her voice) Sharon, behave. Dr. Ju needs to check everything to understand why you are having such terrible cramps during periods. Now, do as she says or I would ask them to use force on you. I hope you don’t want that.
Sharon glared at her mother but did as she was told.
Dr. Ju: Good. Now sit on that chair and place your legs on the stirrups. Be quick.

Sharon didn’t want to, but she knew that if she didn’t co-operate, her mother would surely follow through with her threat. So, she went and sat on the chair as told. Dr. V adjusted her gown so that her private parts were clearly visible for examination. Dr. Ju sat on the stool in front of her and started the examination by pressing her fingers around her private parts. Then she pushed two fingers inside her vagina. Sharon gasped and tried to move but was held in place by Dr. V. She was about to open her mouth in protest but was stopped by a glare from her mother. Sharon was feeling very uncomfortable. Dr. Ju then took a speculum from the side table.
Dr. Ju: I’ll be inserting this in your vagina. Do not move and keep taking deep breaths.

Before Sharon could react, Dr. Ju started pushing it inside her vagina.

Sh: (shouting) Stop… What are you doing?!... Remove it… Ahh… I can’t bear it… Remove it now!!!
Mrs. H: (angrily) Shut up Sharon. Do not disturb the doctor during the examination. She is just checking you

.
Meanwhile, Dr. Ju had pushed the speculum fully inside and opened it a bit. Then once again, she pushed her fingers and checked the insides of her vagina. Then she took a cotton swab and swiped it inside her vagina. She handed it over to Dr. V

Dr. Ju: Hmm… I think it is PID (Pelvic Inflammatory Disease). She has bacterial infection in her vagina. But I would suggest a transvaginal ultrasound to get a clear picture.
Mrs. H: (worriedly) Dr. is it something serious?
Dr. Ju: I think it is in early stage. As I didn’t feel any pus-filled boils. In case of that, we would have required a surgery. But that is not the case here. So, we can treat her with antibiotics. Ultrasound is just an extra precaution to be sure about the diagnosis.
Mrs. H just nodded at that. Meanwhile, Dr. V came there with a tourniquet and started tying it just above Sharon’s left elbow.
Sh: Hey… hey, what are you doing?
She tried to stop her but was immediately held down by Dr. Ju and her mother.
Mrs. H: Stop behaving like a brat, Sharon. They need to do the tests. Shut up and lay down quietly now.

Sharon’s eyes widened seeing the empty syringe in Dr. V’s hands. Dr. V came and started tapping her finger inside her left elbow to find a vein. Once she found it, she inserted the needle and started drawing the blood in the empty syringe. Sharon was crying and screaming. She was terribly scared of needles. Once Dr. V had taken enough blood for testing, she removed the needle.

Dr. Ju: Dr. V, go and book an appointment with the ultrasound technician. Also, send the blood and cotton swab for testing. Tell them, to get me the results as soon as possible. And Sharon, start drinking water. You need to drink nearly 2 litres of water before the ultrasound. And no using the washroom before exam.

TIMESKIP TO EVENING:
The ultrasound was done, and Dr. Ju had also received the blood test and swab test reports. With those, she, along with Dr. V, went to the room in the general ward that had been allotted to Sharon. She entered the room to find Sharon lying on the bed, while her mother was sitting beside her. She asked Mrs. H to follow her outside and asked Dr. V to stay inside the room.

Dr. Ju: So Mrs. H, all her reports suggest that she has PID. Thankfully, it is early stage so she will need to be on antibiotics only. We’ll need to admit her here for the same. Also, her blood test reports suggest some traces of alcohol but no traces of drugs there. Also, she has some hormonal imbalance and iron deficiency according to her blood reports. We’ll be treating her for the same as well.
Mrs. H: Alright, Dr. Thank you so much. You can please proceed with your treatment plan.
Dr. Ju: Sure! For now, I’ll be just giving her a sedative so that she can rest for the day. From tomorrow, I’ll be starting her treatment. I hope she has had something to eat today.
Mrs. H: Yes, I just made her eat some sandwiches and orange juice.
Dr. Ju nodded at that and then both of them went inside.
Sh: So, mom, can I change now? Shall we leave?
Mrs. H: You are getting admitted here, Sharon.
Sh: (with a bewildered expression) What?! No, I am not -
Mrs. H: (in a stern tone) Listen to me now and listen well. Dr. Ju has drawn your treatment plan, and you will be following it thoroughly. Do not make their work any harder. You have to complete the entire treatment course. No slacking anywhere.
Dr. Ju: Don’t worry about that, Mrs. H. We’ll take good care of her.
Just then, nurse Rosy entered with a tray and set it on the table at the side of the room. She started preparing the sedative shot that she had been asked to bring. Sharon’s eyes widened seeing the injection.
Sh: No… I don’t want an injection… please give me oral medicines… please…
She tried to get up from the bed but was held down immediately by Dr. V and her mother.
Mrs. H: (in a disappointed tone) Don’t be difficult now, Sharon. It is just a small injection. Be quiet and lay down.
Sharon was still struggling but was tightly held down and turned to her side by Dr. V and nurse Rosy who came to help after giving the prepared shot to Dr. Ju. Dr. Ju then raised her gown and started pressing her butt to find a spot to inject. Once done, she rubbed the alcohol wipe there and injected the shot. Sharon screamed and cried heavily. Dr. Ju quickly injected the medicine and rubbed the spot after removing the needle. Then Rosy bandaged the injected area. Sharon cried for some time and then went into deep sleep.
Dr. Ju again assured Mrs. H who then left the room and hospital. All the others also left the room.

Continued..