Six

Mako

I almost kill my Icebear trying to get Raine to the mountain.

She lays limply against me, her hair wet with sweat as Zork runs swiftly over the ice and snow. His giant body plows through the drifts, racing against the fever that ravages through my mate. Occasionally she'll mumble a word- river.

I try to tell her that the rivers are frozen and that the ones that aren't are too cold for her, but I don't think she can hear me. She just repeats the word over and over.

River.
River.

Eventually it becomes a mantra. With each breath, each gust of wind, each powerful footstep of Zork, it's all I can hear.

River.
River.

We don't stop for three days, fear driving me. Images of Raine laying dead in the snow haunt me if we slow down even a little. I know Zork needs to rest, but I can't let him. I tell him I'm sorry over and over as I make him run faster and faster.

By the time the entrance of the mountain looms in front of me, my poor bear is ready to collapse. He makes it to the entrance, his legs shaking and the guards come running out.

I slide off of him, pulling Raine with me and cradling her gently. "I need the healer!" I yell at them as I rush past and into the mountain. I don't stop to explain, I just run.

Past all the orcs who are staring at me in confusion. Past the guards and the children, even past our leader, my only goal was to get to the healers cave. And when I finally get there, the cave is empty.

"Healer!" I bellow into the cave and then into the hallway, "where is Kur? Where is the healer?"

A small voice from behind me answers, "she was called away but I'm her apprentice."

I turn quickly and standing in front of me is a human girl, "you have to save her," I beg as I lay Raine on the table in front of the girl.

The girl looks surprised at the sight of Raine and then looks quickly to me, "who is she to you?"

I sink to my knees beside the table, "she is mine and I am hers, and if she dies I fear I will too."

The girl looks between us before finally saying, "I'm going to need your help to save her."

"Anything," I promise.

The girl feels Raine's face, "she's burning up. Go get me as much snow as you can."

I jump up just as Raine moans, "River."

"She wants the river," I tell her. "It's all she's said for days."

The girl looks down at Raine tenderly, "she's not asking for the river."

I look at the girl and see what I should have noticed the first time, "you're River."

River nods, "I am. And you're her mate."

"Mako," I tell her.

"It's nice to meet you Mako. Now, if you want her to live, get me the snow. As many buckets as you can carry," she orders.

I nod and run out the door, back down the hallways and outside. There were buckets by the main entrance for the bears to drink from, and I grab them, shoveling as much snow into them as I can.

They bang together as I race back to the healers cave, almost spilling them when I crash through the entrance and bump into Kur.

"Easy Mako," she tells me gently but firmly. She looks at the buckets in my hands, "ah good, you got the snow. Pour it on that ledge," she orders as she pints to a ledge on the side of her cave. Going to it, I find that it's got a small dip in it, perfect for keeping the snow in place. Once all the snow is emptied, Kur moves towards Raine with a large blade. She looks over at me, "we need her clothes off. Her mate should hold her while we do it."

I rush to Raine's side and watch as Kur cuts the fabric of her tunic, making a long slit up the front. Gently pulling Raine into a sitting position, I slide her tunic off and gasp-

Her entire back is covered in raised scars.

My eyes go to River, "who did this?" I ask her, rage coursing through me.

"The same ones who did it to me," she answers. "I'll tell you when her fever breaks."

Mall nods and the move on to Raine's pants, cutting the fabric like her shirt. When Raine is left in only her underwear, I carry her to the snow shelf and set her on it.

"Cover her in the snow," Kur tells me. "Leave only her head uncovered."

I do as I'm told and then look back at her, "what now?"

Kur sighs, "now we wait."

I nod and turn to River, "you said you'd tell me."

She hesitantly says, "I did. What do you want to know?"

I look back at my mate and then to her sister, "what is the name of the person who hurt her?"

"Why do you want his name?" River asks cautiously.

"So I know who to kill."