Nine

Raine

I haven't seen Mako in a week.

At least I think it's been a week. It's hard to tell time when you live underground.

After that first night, a night I don't remember but River says that I kicked her out, I haven't seen her. Nobody knows where she went, or at least, they won't tell me if they do.

I've started staying with River and her mate Tuluk, who is a the biggest orc I've ever seen. He's covered in scars and both his bottom tusks are chipped, but he's the sweetest male I've ever met. He dotes on River, and by extension, me.

He brings us fabric so we can make baby clothes, sweet treats anytime River asks, and practically carries her everywhere because she had mentioned once that her feet hurt.

As much as I appreciate him and the fact that he's welcomed me into his home, I miss Mako. But it's more than that, it's like a part of me is missing. I'd gotten so used to seeing her every day, her smile, her laugh, even the way she smells.

Now that she's gone, my heart aches every day and it's harder to find reasons to get out of bed.

One morning I'm laying in bed, having no intention of getting up, when River storms in. "That's enough," she tells me, using her annoyed voice. "This is getting ridiculous. Get up."

"No," I groan.

"Raine," she half yells. "Get. Up."

Looking over my shoulder at her, I ask, "why?"

"Because, I found Mako."

                                  ~~~~~~~~~~~

An hour later I'm out of breath and my feet hurt, but I find Mako.

She's sitting on the floor of a giant cave with baby Icebears sleeping all around her. I watch as she slowly pets the one in her lap, looking down at it with such sorrow that it breaks my heart.

She looks like she hasn't sleep in the week since we parted, or bathed. Her skin is covered in dirt and grime, and even though I hate to say it, I can smell the bears from where I'm standing.

As I watch, Mako takes a deep shaky breath and pulls the baby bear close to her, cuddling it tightly. Her shoulders shake and I realize that she's crying.

My feet are moving before the thought registers and in an instant I'm at her side. "Mako," I say softly, trying not to scare her. It doesn't work and she jumps slightly, the bear in her arms crying in protest at her sudden movement. "I'm sorry," I apologize. "I didn't mean to scare you." Her eyes find mine and they are red and puffy, the result of days of crying. I sink to my knees in front of her, "I'm so sorry Mako, I never meant to push you away. To hurt you."

She looks at me for a long while, her eyes searching my face. Finally, she motions to the bear in her lap, "this is Zork's pup," she tells me so quietly I almost can't hear.

"Your bonded bear?" I ask, unsure where this is going but glad that she was talking to me.

She nods, "it's tradition in a mated pair to give to give the new child a pup from its parents Icebears. That way when the child is born, the bear is old enough to bond to it, and then they can grow up together." She sighs heavily, "I had hoped that this one would be our child's bear."

"Why can't it?" I ask, scarcely breathing. She had said our child. Not mine, but ours. Maybe there was still hope for us after all.

She holds up the bear and I see that one of its paws is bent slightly at an angle. "He will never be able to run as fast as the others, or be a great hunter, or even go to battle. He won't be able to do all the things that Icebears live for."

I scoot closer to her and reach for the bear, petting him softly. "Neither will our child," I tell her, using her word. "They will be fully human, and humans are no match for orcs. We can't run as fast, we aren't as strong and our senses aren't as good. But we each have our own strengths and maybe this bear will too." I put a hand on her arm and squeeze gently, "I would be honored if our child could have this one."

"You won't think I'm a bad mate for giving the child a sullied bear?" She asks, her eyes on me.

Shaking my head I tell her, "absolutely not. You're the best mate anyone could ask for. You're going to make a wonderful mother," I pause slightly, "if you'll have us?"

Mako sets the bear aside and pulls me into her lap, "I will have you, both of you." Her hand goes to my belly, the roundness of it already more visible since the last time she saw me.

I snuggle into her, feeling whole again. "I've missed you," I whisper. "Why didn't you come back?"

I feel her breath heavily before answering, "I scared you. I didn't realize that the room was dark and I scared you. You and your sister both told me to leave and I didn't know how to help so I left." She sniffles slightly before continuing, "I am ashamed that I was gone for so long. A good mate would have returned the next morning. A good mate would have checked the fire every hour to make sure that it never went out. A good mate would have realized that it was dark and remembered even through the sleep fog that their mate hates the dark."

Her voice gets thick and before I know it, she's crying. I sit up in her lap and pull her head against my chest, holding her tightly. Her arms wrap around me, holding me almost as tightly as I'm holding her. "You are the kindest person I have ever met Mako," I tell her. "Even River doesn't treat me as good as you do and she's my sister. I love you, Mako, and this past week has been hell without you. I want my mate back. We can work out anything to come as long as we are together. And I want us to be together." Her arms tighten around me as she nods against my chest, "let's go home," I tell her. "Let's go home and talk."

"Home?" She sniffs, her voice muffled against my chest.

I nod, "yes. But first, you need a bath."