Fifteen

Raine

Over the next few weeks, Mako's mother, despite our protests, started to plan our wedding.

Each day she would show up with a horde of other women, both orc and human, all loaded down with fabrics and jewelry. All day every day, Mako and I were measured, poked and prodded by all the women.

They write their measurements in little notepads along with what colors go best with our skin tones and what jewelry Neera is picking out to go with each.

"Why do we need so many dresses?" I eventually ask her.

She gives me an exasperated look, "well darling, there's the dresses for the meet and greets with the other orc leaders, the meetings with the human leaders, a dress for the before wedding party, the actual wedding dress and the after party dress."

"That.. sounds like a lot," I mumble.

"You've mated a princess, Raine," Neera tells me. "You're life if going to change. It's not going to be the quiet life that Maki may have promised you. One day, the two of you will rule this hive and you'll need to have made a good impression on the other rulers." She turns to Mako, "and that means no more warrior business. You're far too important to risk."

"You can't seriously expect me to give up my livelihood," Mako yells.

"It was a passing fancy at best," Neera argues. "You're the heir and must start acting like one. And that means no more going to battle, no more wearing fighting leathers and swords and no more riding that damn bear. And don't even get me started on the state of your hair and nails."

"You can't take away my bear!" Mako argues. "You know he can't bond to another. He'll be alone for the rest of his life."

Neera purses her lips before finally saying, "fine. But your hair, clothes and nails must be addressed."

Mako looks over at me, "my mate likes how I dress and look."

"Maki," Neera scolds. "You have a female mate. Your long nails are going to do her no favors. It's a miracle you haven't cut her yet, you know how fragile human skin is. And once the child comes those nails will have to go anyway."

I watch as Mako's brow scrunches as she looks at her nails and then to me, before she finally nods and one of the women immediately goes to clipping and smoothing her nails.

When the woman is done, Mako inspects her nails closely before finally sighing and dropping her hands in defeat. I can't stand to watch her look so defeated so I fake a large yawn, "oh my! I'm terribly sorry I'm afraid I'm just exhausted. Could we maybe pick this back up tomorrow?"

All the women stop and look at me and then to Neera, "of course darling," she says slowly. "Growing a child is indeed exhausting work. Girls!" She commands, and all the women rush from the room, taking their supplies with them. Neera is last to leave and she gives me an odd look before finally leaving us alone.

Mako is at my side in an instant, "are you alright?"

I grin up at her, "I'm fine. I just wanted to be alone with my mate."

Mako's face crinkles as she smiles, "devious little mate."

I nod slightly, "now kiss me."

Her smile gets even bigger as she rushes down to kiss me softly. But softly isn't what I wanted right now. I lean into her, my hands gripping the front of her shirt and kissing her hard. My lips chase hers, biting her bottom one every once in a while, getting a delicious sound from her.

"Sit down," I order her.

She sits on the trunk immediately and I straddle her as best as I can. My every growing stomach makes it slightly hard to balance but Mako wraps her arms around me, holding me steady. I gaze down at her, seeing nothing but love and adoration in her eyes.

"Thank you," I tell her sincerely.

Her head cocks slightly as she asks, "for what?"

My hands cup her face and I lean in, kissing her softer this time before pulling back and saying, "for saving us. For protecting us and taking care of us. For loving us."

She smiles gently at me, "you do not have to thank me for that. There is nobody else that I would rather have as my mate."

"I love you," I tell her.

"And I love you," she says.

I grin, "then kiss me until we can't kiss anymore."