[13] Guardian

How many hours has it been?

Everything went dark.

A last memory replayed in his head. A scolding by his teacher who was upset with him. Ayato tried hard to stay awake, barely holding on by a thread. Then, at some point, everything became too much, and he ended up fainting.

Ayato remembered the faint feeling of falling into his teacher's arms before being lifted and carried around. Sounds of people talking and objects clattering passed him, picking up some vague signs as he became delirious. A burning sensation passed through him, and then the cold hit him, making him shiver. After that, Ayato's mind went blank.

From time to time, he would gain consciousness, unable to open his eyes before passing out again. His body was betraying him, having reached its end, and it was becoming clear with time that he wouldn't recover soon. Finally, after what felt like hours of sleep, Ayato regained consciousness once more.

Feeling more energetic, he managed to open his eyes, blinking to clear his vision. Gazing at the ceiling, his mind sharpening, he couldn't place where he was. He stirred, realising he lay in a soft bed with white sheets covering his body. As Ayato mustered the energy to sit up, the blanket slid off, revealing his bare chest. Staring down at his wounds, he was shocked to see the extent of his injuries.

During his morning shower, he had caught glimpses of his body and assumed he was fine. Now, taking in the sight, he realised he looked anything but fine. He lifted his arms, cringing at the purple and black bruises covering his skin. An infected gash stretched across his arm, visibly treated for the moment.

As he reached for the back of his head, his fingers brushed against the bandages. On closer look, he discovered that someone had tended to all his wounds- each one treated with ointment or wrapped in bandages. The realization brought awareness to his mind. He snapped his gaze up, recognizing the nurse's office.

Tools lay scattered about from his treatment, but the nurse was nowhere to be seen. 

Who had brought him here? 

Ayato struggled to remember, his head throbbing at the effort.

As he attempted to regain focus, the room fell into an almost overbearing silence, disturbed by occasional breaths. Ayato froze, sensing the presence of another person in the room as the sound caught his attention.

Turning his gaze to the side, Ayato was surprised to find his teacher seated in a chair beside him, arms and legs crossed. His head hung, and his body heaved in deep sleep every few seconds. His clothes were dishevelled, and his face looked exhausted. He must have taken him here to get him treated.

Ayato glanced at the clock; it was evening. The sun was setting, the orange hue dying the sky and dimming the natural light in the room. Several hours had passed since he fainted and found himself in this room. As he took notice of the bowl of water and the towel lying next to it, he figured he had contracted a fever as a result of standing outside all night in the rain.

Now that Ayato had gotten the full picture of the situation, he came to a bothersome realization. His teacher saw his body, and there was no doubt he was going to ask questions or let him leave anytime soon. Sighing, he wondered how he should lie. He couldn't exactly say that he tried to get his friend's pet back, ending up nearly getting killed by a stalker before killing him instead and burying his body.

Yeah, right, that wouldn't do.

Watching his teacher's peaceful state, Ayato decided to take his chances. Carefully lifting himself off the bed, he placed his foot on the floor, testing his strength. When it seemed like he wouldn't collapse, Ayato continued, standing upright as he silently manoeuvred through the room. His eyes darted everywhere, looking for his clothes, which were lying near his teacher.