[20] Cooking lessons

With a confused look, Amao looked up through squinted eyes, his face contorted in pain. As he applied pressure to the open wound, he glanced at Ayato, feeling a sense of dread and anxiety wash over him. For some reason, he felt unsafe as he observed the silent man, wondering what he had to say to him.

As Ayato gazed him down, he spoke directly, leaving no room for doubts. 

"Those chocolates you gave me..." He began, trailing off as he purposely let a heavy silence fall. Ayato noticed the gears turning in Amao's head as he slowly remembered what he was talking about. Once Ayato spotted the look of realisation on his face, he continued. 

"You poisoned them, didn't you?" He coldly asked, his eyes narrowing at the brunette.

The words struck Amao as shock and surprise washed over him, taken aback by the spontaneous question. As Amao remembered the day Ayato walked past his club room and tried some chocolates,  he knew what he was talking about.

His face turned into a mix of confusion and fear as he looked up at him with wide eyes. "What...What do you mean?" He weakly spoke, feeling dizzy from the pain.

Ayato scoffed, briefly glancing at the door before facing the boy. Without hesitation, he stepped forward, grasping the collar of his blouse as he pushed Amao against the counter, firmly holding him in place.

Ayato felt like screaming, anger bubbling up inside him as he watched the dumb-founded expression on Amao. "Don't play dumb..." Ayato spat, gritting his teeth as he tried to maintain control. He growled as he held Amao against the counter, feeling the edge dig into his back. "You fucking poisoned them. I know you did. I was up all night, throwing those chocolates up."

Chuckling, Ayato darkly added. "You must've loved giving me those chocolates. Playing all innocent and smiling at me. You're going to regret that."

Watching the shaking boy, Ayato knew he meant the threats in his words. He had never felt this angry before, and the thought that Amao might have done this because of his friendliness to Osano, a boy that Ayato had begun to cherish over time, made him even more enraged.

Amao opened his mouth, letting it hang as he gaped at Ayato, unsure what to say. He swallowed his words and felt his throat dry, knowing he needed to be careful with what he was about to say next.

Nervous and scared, Amao hesitantly spoke. "Those chocolates?" He felt the grip on his shirt tighten, sweating at the proximity. "I didn't do anything to those chocolates. You must've eaten something else that caused you a bad reaction."

He tried, hoping Ayato would believe his reasoning and leave him alone. Aside from his bloody hand and bruised back, he knew the boy meant business.

Ayato glared, not believing a word he said. "You think I'd believe that? After eating those chocolates, I was bedridden for days. I couldn't move. I couldn't eat." Muttering, Ayato added. "Just what did you put into it..."

Amao observed the boy for a while, feeling a surge of hope at the words as he hastily spoke. 

"Then, come back here tomorrow!"

His hopeful voice echoed through the room, momentarily surprising Ayato. As Ayato regained his composure, he spoke in a suspicious voice. "What the hell? What do you mean to come back here tomorrow?"

Although he felt anything but happy, Amao let out a soft laugh at his surprise. Feeling the blood seep through his fingers, Amao's complexion drained of colour, a sense of nausea filling him. Yet, he was determined to keep talking and convince the boy of his intentions.

"If you come back here tomorrow, I'll make those chocolates again. Right in front of you! You'll see I didn't put anything bad in them." Amao pressed on, noticing the weird look on Ayato's face. He didn't care as he continued speaking, the volume of his voice growing with intensity. "Come back here every day. To watch me cook and taste my food. I'll make sure you realise I never mess with anyone's food, especially a friend of someone I know."