[19] Chocolate

"What's wrong?

Mido looked up as he smiled at Ayato, noticing the boy approaching him with his schoolbag slung off his shoulder. As the teacher glanced past his frame, he spotted Ayato's friends in the hall past the doorway, busy filling in the application.

Chuckling, Mido turned his gaze to Ayato. "Your friends must be excited for the chance to start a club. I'm curious to see what they come up with."

Ayato looked back at his friends as he nodded. "Me too. I hope they make it."

"We'll see," Mido smiled before facing him, commenting on his behaviour. "Anyways, you must have approached me because you wanted to say something. Let's hear it. What's on your mind?"

Hearing his words, Ayata spoke carefully. "Taro invited me to stay over at his house." He paused, regarding his teacher's look, before continuing. "Can I go, even if it's just for one night?"

As Ayato watched his teacher, he quickly added. "That doesn't mean I'm not grateful for the stay you've been providing me with. I figured it'd be a nice change of pace." Ayato reluctantly said, hoping he conveyed the message properly.

A silence fell as Mido held his chin, remaining in thought. Ayato watched him as Mido lowered his hand, crossed his arms, and nodded, "Of course, Ayato. You're not obligated to stay with me all the time. It's also good for you to spend time with your friends."

As Mido noticed his surprise, he chuckled, explaining while gesturing with his hand. "I have some business to take care of myself, so this might be a good chance for us to focus on ourselves for now. Just make sure to communicate with me in the meantime and tell me when your parents get back."

Ayato felt a sense of relief, offering a grateful smile. "Thank you, Mido. Really. I'll keep you updated about my plans." Pausing, he added. "And I'll let you know when my parents come home. Normally, they don't go on trips for long."

Mido patted Ayato's shoulder gently, smiling. "No problem. Enjoy your time with your friends, and don't hesitate to reach out if you need anything. Now go on, have fun!"

With a nod, Ayato headed towards his friends, the weight on his shoulders lifted. Mido, watching him go, couldn't help but feel a mix of emotions. He was glad to see Ayato connecting with others, but a subtle worry lingered beneath the surface, a concern for what Ayato might be dealing with beyond what was visible to him.

Knowing the boy still had to come by his house to pack his clothes, Mido decided to push these thoughts to the back of his mind, planning to bring them up when the occasion asked for it.

As Ayato joined his friends, he noticed they were engrossed in their conversation, joking around. Osano teased Taro as he grinned at him, pointing at the paper. "Honestly, who's going to join a book club? I don't think there are that many interested in sitting around in a circle and reading in silence."

"It won't be like that," Taro stated with an excited smile. Despite Osano's teasing comments, Taro remained determined. "I'll do it differently. Make it fun and engaging for everyone involved. I can already imagine it."

Noticing Ayato approaching, Taro stood up straight, waving the paper with a wide smile. "Look! I got it all filled out. Wanna take a look?"

"Sure," Ayato nodded, grasping the paper as his eyes slid over the content. The document seemed to be complete, detailing the activities and purpose of the club. As Ayato read, he felt a growing sense of dread. A book club wasn't necessarily an exciting idea to some people, and as he took note of Taro's enthusiasm, he feared the boy might be disappointed if his expectations weren't met.

As Ayato observed his two friends talking, he stepped closer, grabbed Taro's attention, and gave the paper back to him. "It's good. Your answers look fine, too." Ayato paused before commenting. "But it might be a good idea if you promote the club to other students. The more people are interested, the higher your chances are of succeeding."