Lock the Doors

I pull my phone out of my pocket and dial 911 but as I'm about to hit the call button, June gasps awake.

"June, oh my god. Are you okay?"

She doesn't look okay. Her jaw is clenched tight as her eyes dart around the parking lot. They're that unnatural shade of blue again, too dark and too bright at the same time.

"We have to get you to the hospital," I tell her but it's like she's not hearing me.

"Back up," she orders. Her voice is deep and strained. Her arms tremble as her fingers ball into a fist. The shaking in her arms travels to her chest. Her entire body shivers.

I begin to pull my jacket off when she groans.

"Back up, Sawyer." Her voice is void of kindness. She doesn't sound like June. She sounds angry.

I do as I'm told, take a few large steps back and watch as she clutches her chest with one hand and the ground with the other. Her teeth pull into a snarl. I've never seen June so angry before. Not even when we went to school together. She was always the golden retriever lesbian of Glassboro High. Seeing her like this sends a shiver down my spine.

June leans forward and rests her head against her knees. She's wearing a long sleeve shirt that stretches over the muscles in her back reminding me just how fit June stays for college sports. I would love to run my nails down that back. When she's feeling better, of course. 

She sucks in a long breath, shaking me from my less-than-innocent thoughts, and lets it out through her nose.

I'm silently begging for her to say something, anything. I need to know if she's okay. It feels like an eternity has passed when finally...

"Sorry." Her voice is muffled. Her head is still pressed against her knees, but she stops clutching her chest. "I was a little overstimulated."

I can't help but laugh. The sound takes June off guard. She looks at me curiously.

"June, what the fuck?" I don't know what else to say. A million questions race through my head but I don't know how to form any of them into coherent sentences.

She smiles at me. The good ole June smile. Too big considering the circumstances, too hopeful.

"What's up, Sawyer?" Her voice is playful, deeper. Her voice is... flirty?

My cheeks go warm at the way my name sounds in her mouth. "Can I help you up or is that going to... Overstimulate you?"

June laughs hard then stops abruptly and clutches her ribs. "Yeah, I guess that was a weird thing to say."

"Yeah. It was." I extend a hand to her and she takes it, pulling harder than I expect to hoist herself up. "What happened to you?"

She limps once and starts to stumble but I grab her arm and pull it around my shoulders.

"You can put some weight on me."

"Thanks," she says through gritted teeth. "I was jumped by some assholes from Cape May. I thought..." She shakes her head. "I kind of thought I was going to die." She chuckles. Even something as serious as death sounds like a joke coming from her.

"How do you know they were from Cape May?"

"Just a guess," she answers. "They don't like me much over there."

"Please." I scoff. "Who could hate June Walker?"

She manages to raise an eyebrow at me even though blood is crusted on her forehead.