Don't Forget the Mermaids

I've heard stories of lives changing in an instant. One night, that's all it takes. Mostly from celebrities who climbed the rungs to fame. They always describe it the same way: I kept working until one day, this agent reached out, this company responded to my email, I landed the gig, etc. etc. etc.... Not quite the same as my situation now but I can't help the sinking feeling that everything's about to change, no matter how hard I hold on.

"I can turn into a wolf right now?" I ask, standing in the middle of June's living room, between the coffee table and the television. She's sitting on the leather couch in front of me, her head buried deep in her hands. "Is there some kind of spell I have to recite?"

June huffs a laugh. "I shouldn't have said anything. This really isn't my story to tell."

"It's a little late for that."

She looks at me with red rimmed eyes, one of the many indicators of how stressed out she is about everything going on. About telling me the truth, about the missing person cases, about Ricky. The last one sends goosebumps down my arms. I try not to think about him but those lifeless eyes, his decapitated head flood my head when things get too quiet.

More than a few times, I've thought about blurring those images with a drink but I won't let myself become my dad. Or, at least, who my dad used to be. I haven't mentioned to June how much it worries me whenever she refills her glass. No matter how badly I want to take the glass out of her hands, I won't let myself.

"No." June's response is so late, I've almost forgotten what she's answering. "You can't physically shift," she explains.

"And why not?"

June raises an eyebrow at me. "Do you want to?"

I shrug and sit on the couch next to her. "No?"

"You don't sound sure." She grins and grabs the empty glass from the coffee table, rising to refill it.

"What's the point?" I ask.

She laughs from the bar.

"I'm serious," I tell her when she comes back. "What's the point of... Shifting or whatever?"

She throws half the drink back in one swallow. "We make better vampire hunters."

I push her shoulder. "Shut up."

She looks at me, wearing an expression I can't quite decipher.

"You're serious?" I ask, my eyes going wide. "You're serious," I repeat, sliding deeper into the couch. "You're fucking serious." I rub the tension from my forehead and groan.

June chuckles. "There used to be wars. Wars with humans. Wars with other packs. Wars with vampires."

"Don't forget the mermaids," I say.

June scoffs. "Don't be ridiculous." She takes a slow sip of her drink. "We don't have beef with the sirens." June switches gears. "There's a lot of rules in place now to keep everyone from slitting each other's throats. A lot of laws. That's why when Avery attacked me in Glassboro it was such a big deal. She was on our land." She waves the conversation off like it's unimportant. I don't bring up the fact that I still think Avery is innocent.

"This is probably too much information all at once," June says.

I clear my throat, nodding. "I came home to find my best friend... This is..." I don't know how to finish the sentence. 'A lot' doesn't do it justice, doesn't even begin to describe how overwhelming this whole thing is.

"You should start with your story," June says, turning to me. "But I'm not the one to share it." She squeezes my knee, her eyes searching my face. "You should talk to your dad."

Checking her phone, she shakes her head. "Maybe in the morning."

"Yeah," I say, rising from the couch. "You're right. I should get some sleep. We should get some sleep." I glance at her empty glass.

June's jaw is clenched when I look at her. "I'm afraid I'll see him in my sleep," she admits, shaking her head. The confession prompts a few tears to slide down her cheeks. "I don't know if I'll ever be able to get this out of my head."

I take her hand in mine and pull her to her feet. "You will, June. It just takes time."

She nods, wiping the tears away with the back of her hand and then she's hugging me, like she's trying to pull all the broken pieces together.

"I'll stay in your room if you want," I say when she finally releases me.

She shakes her head hard and sniffles. "No. No way. I told you I'm not—"

I hold a hand up to stop her. "I know you're not trying to get in my pants, June."

"It's okay," she says. "I'll be okay."

I force a half smile. I hate seeing her like this. I miss the bubbly June I met when I first arrived in Glassboro and I can't help but think this is all my fault. This broken version of June is my fault. If I never came back, Ricky would be alive and June would be happy.

We exchange our goodnights and go to our separate rooms, hers on the first floor, mine on the second. Lying under the fluffy covers in the dark of the room, I can't help but think about June, all alone, probably thinking about Ricky. Thinking about all the different choices she could have made tonight.

Sleep comes in waves, broken, half-hearted waves. I hear everything; the branches of the tree outside tapping against the window, the whistle of the wind, the soft patter of rain against the roof as it starts and stops again.

Ricky haunts my dreams. The shocked expression on his severed head, mouth agape, eyes wide. The night replays with different outcomes. What he would have done if June weren't there.

It's still dark when I gasp awake. Tree branches cast crooked shadows across the walls, swaying in the wind. At first, I try to lie back down but I'm too awake, my body buzzing with anxiety so I make my way downstairs instead.

June pops her head out of her bedroom as I sneak down the creaky stairs.

"Sorry. I was trying..." I motion to the stairs, not able to think of full sentences after the whirlwind my mind has been through.

"It's fine," June says. "I wasn't sleeping."

I'm still on the second stair up when my phone rings from the couch. We both stop and look at the device.

June glances at the clock. "It's two in the morning."

I nod, brushing the initial rush of fear off. "It's probably a spam call." But even as I say the words, I'm rushing to the phone to get a look at who's calling at this hour. June's behind me before the name registers in my head.

Everything goes still.

This can't be.

I show the phone to June but by the look on her face, she's already seen the name on my caller ID.

My heart pounds against my ribs so hard, it hurts.

"Answer it," June urges.

I slide the answer button over and hold the phone to my ear but I can't get words to form.

"Sawyer?" The raspy voice asks. "Why are you being weird, girl?"

I look at June again, my eyes wide.

"Angela?"

***

Hey all!

Another short chapter because my dog decided we needed another emergency trip to the vet this morning. The chapter also isn't super edited so apologies for that as well. 

Anyway! Hope you're all enjoying the story so far. I've heard the messaging system on Wattpad is going to be dealt away with, so if you ever have any questions at all, feel free to post on my message board or send me a DM on Instagram (same username as here).

I appreciate every single one of you and remember, if you enjoyed this chapter, please give it a vote/comment. It helps me reach a larger audience and keep the story at the front of my to-do list. 

***