Chapter 16

Chapter 16

Getting Mariano to come home was easy. When I told him that I won't ever join him in his movie marathons, he whined for a bit and in ten minutes, he was back. He told me that he was just in a nearby cafe; he doesn't want me to give a hard time in case I ever look for him.

"Hmm. Have you cooled your head?"

Mariano nodded and pulled me for a hug. "I'm sorry, Arden. I don't know what's happening to me nowadays. I get irritable and there are moments where I just want to see blood; like seeing other people's heads blow up," he said casually and if I didn't know what he does and what kind of man he is, I would be out of here in a jiffy.

"Come on. Hal told me that he could explain your mood swings." He scrunched his nose, displeased with the term I used. "Don't tell me otherwise. You can't even hide your displeasure."

We headed to Mariano's study and Hal was hyper focused on his computer, a deep frown on his forehead. We just watched him from being confused to someone who just achieved enlightenment, as if he found all the answers to the world's problems.

"Oh, you guys are here," he said in surprise and with a grin. "So, there's something I need to confirm first. Let's go with you first, Arden."

Blinking in confusion, I nodded. "Okay. What is it?"

"Where is the father of your baby?" That question caught me off-guard. I tensed up and I bet Mariano could also feel it.

"You better tread lightly, Moreau. Stress is not a good thing for Arden and the baby, you know that," Mariano warned Hal in that low, deadly voice. His expression was tight as he reached for my hand and squeezed them gently.

"Boss, I know that. I just want to confirm my theory. This is for both your sake, and the baby's as well." Hal seemed serious and it made me nervous.

"Arden, baby, you don't have to, okay? I'll make sure to beat up Hal later for upsetting you like this," Mariano promised as he rubbed my back, hoping to offer some comfort, while Hal grimaced at Mariano's words.

Still, curiosity got the best of me. A part of me wanted to know what Hal was talking about, and I wanted to know as soon as possible. "I... don't know who he is, honestly."

The room became dead silent. Mariano tried his hardest to conceal his confusion and curiosity, while Hal was just looking at me. "You know, the same old cliche. You get drunk, and the next morning, you wake up naked, with a stranger beside you." I hope I was able to hide the crack in my voice. I don't regret my child, but what happened to me was kind of traumatizing. Aside from that, I can't remember what happened clearly, even after several weeks have passed.

When I glanced at Mariano, he was deep into his thoughts. His brows were furrowed and there was a kind of tension, which only increased the anxiety that has been brewing inside my system. I began to scratch my fingers and chew on my lips, unable to handle the tension any longer.

It was Hal who broke the tension. "Can you tell us where you woke up, Arden. I promise, this will be of great help to you once we figure this out."

"It was a luxurious hotel. I just can't remember... I think it has a crown in its name..."

"Golden Imperial Plaza," Mariano muttered breathlessly and looked at me with a soft gaze. My heart started to pound. "I was drugged. The elders were responsible for it. Upon investigation, Hal found out that someone was waiting in my room for me, planted by the elders. However, it seemed as if I went into the wrong room. I'll give you space to think about what I said, but I just want you to know Arden, you are very precious to me. I am so sorry for what I did, but I will never regret having a child with you." Mariano's eyes were glassy, his voice trembling so slightly, as he reached for my hand and kissed it lightly, as if he was afraid that I would break with a touch of him. My head started to throb and my ears rang. It was hard to catch up with the sudden development.