𝐏𝐮𝐫𝐩𝐥𝐞 𝐇𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐭𝐬 | 𝐒𝐡𝐢𝐟𝐭𝐲 𝐏𝐨𝐰𝐞𝐫𝐬

❃❃❃

❃❃❃

You were crouched down in a ditch in Holland waiting for your opportunity to find better cover. Operation Market Garden was a bust, and you and Shifty were separated from the rest of the company.

At first you thought you were on your own. You snuck past the German tanks as you made your way into a barn, adjusting your rifle ever so stealthily out the window. You heard a snap behind you and pointed your M1 at the figure instantly.

"Woah Thunder it's me!" Whispered Shifty Powers as he emerged from the darkness.

"Shifty!" You whisper-yelled. "You almost gave me a heart attack I thought you were a kraut!" You clutched your chest.

"I could say the same to you." He put his hands on his knees; catching his breath.

You noticed a piece of shrapnel lodged in his calf. "Ah man Shift that must hurt like hell." You crouched down to take a look.

"Yea...piece of kraut artillery came flying in my direction. Next thing I knew I woke up in a ditch, hearing German murmuring. I'm mighty glad to see you regardless of the current situation." He said giving you a sad but relieved grin.

"Me too Shifty. We're gonna get out of here and back to the company one way or another."  Your confidence reassured him. "May I?" You extended your hand out to inspect the wound.

He winced as he sat down next to you in the hay. "Go ahead (y/n)."

You ever so gently touched the area as you placed your other hand on his shoulder. You could tell it was infected. "We're gonna need to get you to a medic Shifty." You looked up making eye contact with him.

"I know." He sighed. You saw his eyes fixed on the barn doors. "I have a plan. Follow closely behind me." He got up and offered you his hand.

"Alright I'm following your lead Shift. Don't mess this up." He looked back at you with a smirk and shook his head.

You liked to joke with Shifty. He followed orders to a T and never missed a shot. He was too humble to admit it, but you knew he was the best rifleman in the whole company. The men agreed.

The two of you stood in front of the barn doors staring into each other faces.

"On my signal." He nodded. "3...2...1...now."

You exhaled as if to mentally prepare yourself.

He opened the barn door ever so slightly as the two of you crawled out. You crouched down speed walking along the edge of the barn past what appeared to be at least 35 German soldiers. You could tell Shifty was lagging behind due to his injury, so you went back to help him, putting your arm around his shoulder. Luckily the pitch black night sky gave you cover.