5 .·:· Sunlit Bodies

Draper, Herbert James. 'The Lament for Icarus'. 1898 ⋆.ೃ࿔*:・

Words:  1,861

.・゜゜・

Language warning

.・゜゜・

╔═*.·:·. .·:·.*═╗

ten days before the summer solstice

"Do you have everything?" Phoebe's concern hung in the air like a gentle breeze, wrapping warmly around the three children.

"Yes," Annabeth answered shortly.

"You sure?"

"We're going to be fine," Annabeth answered. Her confident assurances did little to dispel Phoebe's lingering worry. Suddenly the daughter of Athena was pounced on and was enveloped in a tight embrace. "I'll miss you," she whispered.

"I'll miss you too," Annabthe said softly back, barely audible. It was only meant for her ears.

When Phoebe released her, she turned her attention to the two boys who stood there awkwardly, trying to avert their eyes from her interaction with Annabeth. She engulfed them in a warm embrace, squeezing them on either side of her body. "Stay safe, okay? Listen to Annabeth," she fretted again, the weight of her worry palpable. Grover patted her back, but Percy seemed to draw immense comfort from the embrace, holding onto her tightly, his face buried into her side.

"Okay, Pheebs, come on," Luke spoke up. "They need to get going."

With one final squeeze, she let go. Luke behind her hugged Annabeth, lifting her from the ground. Whispering words of encouragement, urging her to stay safe and not to forget to use that big brain of hers.

"Stay safe you two," He said, looking at Percy and Grover, before gently placing Annabeth back on the ground.

"Come on, Pheebs, let's let them leave," Luke nudged his head in the direction of the camp. She took a deep breath and gave the departing trio a warm smile and two thumbs up before turning to head back. Luke followed her lead, and together they began walking down the hill.

As they descended, Luke nudged her to shift her attention to him, and away from the lingering worry etched on her face. Her concern persisted, a palpable fear that at any moment, a monster might seize the kids and they would be gone forever. Like countless before them. With her heart heavy, she spoke a silent prayer to the gods, a plea for them to keep the kids safe.

Taking another deep breath, Phoebe mustered a warm smile for him. Trying to let go of her worries and forget about her kids leaving the sanctuary of camp, she ran off ahead. "Come on Luke!" she yelled behind her.

He slowed his steps, savouring the enchanting sight of her gracefully descending the hill, with her hair dancing behind her, the flowing chestnut strands almost turning golden in the bright sun. Like the sun god himself was kissing the crown of his daughter's head. She cast a fleeting glance back at him, her face transforming into sunlight as she offered him a radiant smile. He felt like it was a celestial gift from the gods themselves.

With her head turned, she remained oblivious to the hidden danger beneath the lush grass- a rabbit hole lay in waiting, ready to ensnare its unwitting victim. Her foot got entangled, and like Icarus when the wax on his wings began to melt, she tumbled to the earth. ¹

Luke couldn't contain his laughter, a joyous melody that filled the air, and he clutched his stomach nearly doubling over.

But Phoebe lay very still.