𝐑𝐄𝐃𝐀𝐌𝐀𝐍𝐂𝐘 - 𝟎𝟑𝟏

"This is the third fucking grocery store that is out of nilla wafers

"This is the third fucking grocery store that is out of nilla wafers. How many people are making banana pudding this year?" I grumbled , staring at the empty cookie section.

I didn't want to show up to Dahlia's family thanksgiving empty handed.. the least I could do was bring a dish.

Yes I still do not know how to cook or things of that nature but I'm forever thankful my grandmother left me her banana pudding recipe, she made the best in town. Though the universe is making is extremely harder than it needs to be because these vanilla wafers are crucial to the recipe and they are nowhere to be found.

"Excuse me sweetheart," A faint voice said from beside me , I turned around and saw an older man standing there with a smile. "Is it these you're looking for?" He dug in his cart and pulled out a box of the wafers.

I smiled but shook my head , " Yes, but I don't want to take them from you if you need them." Because what do I look like taking cookies from the elderly? Am I a lunatic?

He let out of breathy laugh before forcefully pushing them in my hand. "Nonsense , you probably need them more than I."

"I- are you sure?"

"100 percent. Happy Thanksgiving , dear." Before I could say anything , he was already walking away. Elderly people are super stubborn, never take no for an answer. Why are they all like that?

I decided to check out because I'd already got what I needed at the other two stores I made trips to. During the process , I'd made eye contact with the same older man from earlier , I waved and he gave a small nod in return.

I thought about him on the whole car ride home, he looked oddly familiar but I just couldn't remember for the life of me. I knew it wasn't any of the guys from the nursing home I visited and I don't really know any more elders. It's probably just one of those distant thoughts that don't mean anything though.

As soon as I made it in the house and set my groceries down, my phone started to ring. To my surprise , it wasn't Dahlia like I thought. It was my mother. I debated on whether or whether not to answer it , what did I tell you? She always gives in.

I picked up on the 4th ring , hands shaking in the process. "Hello.."

"Why you don't call me? HUH?" Her voice louder than normal , causing me to jump slightly.

"I-I didn't think you wanted me to call you ma... sorry." I stammered , looking down at the floor. What did she expect? Kicking me out the house , yelling at me , ignoring me for WEEKS then she expects me to just call her and pretend everything was normal?

Yet , I still don't even have an answer as to why she reacted that way.

I heard her take a deep breath , probably trying to keep her composure. "Whatever , what time you coming tomorrow?" My heart almost fell to my stomach , my teeth gritted together. I had no idea that she would want me there tomorrow , let alone be in her presence. Dramatic? Kinda , but you never know when you have a mother like her.

What was I supposed to do? I had already told Dahlia that I would spend thanksgiving with her and she looked so happy. Would Ibe absolutely terrible for switching up on plans a day before? I mean, my family is expecting me.. doesn't family come first?

But wouldn't it be based on what I want to do? I want to spend it with Dahlia but I don't want to disappoint my mother.. again.

"Raeni?? Hello!?!"

I rubbed my temples with a sigh, "Oh... sorry ma. Um , i'll be there at 3."

"Alright, dress nice."

"Okay ma , love you." She grunted and the phone hung up. I wanted nothing more than to jump off my balcony, the concrete below was starting to look real tempting. The one nice thing I had going on got ruined in a matter of seconds.

How was I going to tell Dahlia? Maybe i'm overreacting and she'll understand.. I doubt she'll make a big deal out of it. I'll still make the pudding and I'll go over and give it to her so it doesn't go to waste.

I took everything out the bags and grabbed everything I needed to get started. Hopefully this doesn't take longer than it should.

☆ ☆ ☆

I sat on my bed , staring at Dahlia's contact. The responsible thing would be to call her and let her know that I wouldn't be able to make it. I quickly pressed the call button , allowing the phone to ring for a few times before her voicemail sounded in my ears. I felt relieved , like I could finally breathe. I opened the message app and began to type out my message.

Dahlia Baby <3
Hey , I have sort of bad news.. I know I said I'd spend thanksgiving with you tomorrow , but my mother unexpectedly called and she wanted me to come over and spend it with them. I hope you understand. Sorry for the switch up. Mwah.

I quickly pressed the send button and threw my phone beside me. Now all I had to do was wait , I hated waiting. I'm not a very patient person , I don't know how people do it. Is it not killing them to wonder about what's going to happen next?

My phone began to ring and Dahlia's contact photo appeared on screen , practically screaming in my face. I put the phone up to my ear , staying completely silent until I heard her speak.

"That's completely fine with me baby , I understand your mom wanting to spend Thanksgiving with family."

I let out a sigh of relief, I knew she wasn't going to be upset? Why would I overthink it like that? "Are you sure you're not upset?" I questioned, just for some sort of confirmation. She hummed and requested facetime.

"I made a banana pudding for you and your family but I don't know what to do with it now. Just didn't wanna show up empty handed you know?" I frowned , looking down at my hands. I feel so bad, even though she told me it was alright.

"You eat it, most of my family is allergic to bananas anyway." She shrugged , looking at me with eyes I couldn't quite determine.

"Oh."

"Yeah. I have to go , someone's calling me. Talk to you later."

"Oh- Bye."

"Bye." Click

a/n: i deserve a round of applause for updating guys !! ( i know it's the bare minimum )