12. Taking Over Now

Haisley's POV
"Today is your first day here and you have a patient here for surgery. Who wants to join me?" Bailey asks us and we all raise our hands fast.

"Wow, you all are eager, ok... Karev, Henderson, Michaels, Wails and Hader's. You are with me today." I see Bailey smile at me quickly so I smile back at her.

"Alright who wants to be in my group?" I hear dad say next to me as we walk by him and we smile at each other.

"Hey, I also wanted you to check up on you. Are you doing ok?" Bailey asks me quietly next to me. "I'm doing better now, one step at a time right?" I tell her and she looks at me proudly. "That's exactly right" We quickly go into the emergency room with her because it got busy again.

"Today is a big day here. A lot of injuries have happened but from different reasons. Follow me to this patient." We follow Bailey and when we get there she swings open the curtain and the guy has a broken leg but it's also bleeding out because the skin cracked open.

"Adam here is 17 years old and he plays very rough rugby. He broke his leg during it but his skin cracked open when he glided on the grass and hit a rock. Now his bones are showing out of his skin. What do we do?" Bailey asks us and we all raise our hands.

"First before doing anything check his heart and than work on the injury. Just in case he doesn't have a heart attack." I answer before anyone can answer and they all glare at me. "Exactly, you can come here and help me." Bailey allows me and I walk up to her and she looks at me and whispers to me. "You can do this" She encourages me and I smile big at her.

I check his pulse and his heartbeat and it is fast but it's a normal fast sound for injuries. "It is fast but that's how it is for injuries it's not unusually fast." I inform Bailey and she laughs proudly. "Ah ah, yes excellent, future doctor over here. Everyone! This intern has already nailed it on her first day! You guys might want to learn from your classmate here." Bailey tells everyone in the room and I see dad across from us and he smiles so big.

"Ok we will need to check his heart rate every now and than as well as monitor everything else. All we need to do for surgery is clean out those bones and fix the skin back together." She tells us and we nod at her and get the patient ready. "Dr. Karev, Alex, can I talk with you for a minute." Bailey says and I get nervous about that.

Alex's POV
"Hey, your daughter is doing an amazing job already. She's picked up quick, probably helps that she grew up here." Bailey tells me and I look at Haisley working on the guy with the broken leg and she is looking like a true surgeon.

"I think it did, she might even be your new favourite baby you teach." I tell her "I think she just might be. She was already a favourite when she was a baby. Holding that tiny body of her's. Hey, does Rebecca know that she is working here? If she doesn't you better make sure she never does." Bailey warns me

"She doesn't, I have promised myself to keep her away from Haisley since she left after giving birth to her. Besides, Haisley doesn't need anymore pain or stress in her life, she has already been through enough." I whisper to Bailey

"Ok, I'm just checking" Bailey tells me and I smile at her as a thanks.

No way am I ever letting that happen.