Chapter 127

I woke up as Max tried to sneak out of the room. The sun was already shining through the curtains and soon our helpers would come back. But my euphoria about the new house was limited.

Tonight Jessi would get on a plane and go back home. My heart contracted as if it were a goodbye forever. The last few weeks, and especially yesterday, I had suppressed the fact, but today I wouldn't be able to do it anymore. I was happy for her that she had found a new passion with school. Only the best for them.

But with that I was alone again in Monaco, a piece of family that would leave me again. Even though I had Max and the boys with their girlfriends, no one could get close to Jessi, no one wanted to.

How long I had stayed in bed and cried silently into the pillow, no one would be able to say. But the voices from below grew louder and louder. Dad was my sign to get up and cover the traces of my tears in time.

Dressed and made up, I ventured down to the others: "Sleeping Beauty has woken up." I looked at Dan scathingly, as much as I liked him, his good mood in the morning was just too much for me.

"Had a long night in the new house," Lando picked up where Dan had left off.

"Unlike you," I countered, "at least I have someone with whom I can turn night into day." Somewhat disgusted, like a teenager, the Brit now looked at me. As if it were a whole new piece of information for him that Max and I were having sex.

Jessi put her cup down at the bar between the dining room and the kitchen: "Shall we get to work? I still have a flight to catch today."

"You're going back today?" the Australian looked at my best friend with wide eyes. He probably didn't know it was her last day here, at least for a while. You could see disappointment in his eyes, I was going to grab him right away and squeeze out something that had happened exactly from his point of view.

"Yep," the blonde said curtly, "school starts Monday." Not only did school start again for them, but also for us was finished with summer holidays from next week. With that, it felt like the summer was over for me and winter was coming, probably faster than we all would have liked.

To overcome the low mood, Max divided up teams again, everyone got to work immediately, only I had a different goal. Since Daniel was supposed to set up the furniture in the garden with Max, I followed them into the garden.

I leaned against the wall while the men began to empty the boxes with the pieces: "Why didn't you get in touch with Jessi? She's pretty pissed off at you." I didn't feel like beating around the bush for long, so I got straight to the point.

But I immediately got the attention of the two gentlemen, who both looked at me with wide eyes: "We have written." I shook my head, because there was a difference between writing and just replying.

"She wrote and you answered," I clarified, "You could have made the first move, but you didn't. Why?" It wasn't really my business, but I didn't want the two of them to get in each other's way. Of course, I was afraid that I might lose a friend again, but if Jessi could be happy with him, the risk was worth it.

"Did she say that?" I shrugged. I wouldn't tell him exactly what she told me. But I wanted to give him a push in their direction, they should sort it out today, that was my goal.

"No matter what she said," I told him, "you should sort out whatever you are before she gets on the plane tonight. Go to her, I'll help Max in time." I nodded into the interior of the house to emphasize my words. Apparently, I succeeded, because he got up and disappeared inside and I knelt next to my boyfriend.

He grinned at me, "Did you just set up my best friend and your best friend?"

"They did that on their own weeks ago, but as we all know, Formula 1 drivers need a little push in the right direction to get their relationships on track," I smiled innocently at him.