Wattpad Original
There are 13 more free parts

Chapter 4 - The Dance

When our eyes pull apart, my irises rove over Liam, taking in every detail. His rounded jaw is covered in what I'd guess to be about a week's worth of scruff. It's a mixture of coppery brown and just a couple of shades lighter than his dark unruly hair.

His gaze is still guarded and drawn together and the most fascinating feature about him. That chameleonic ability to mask his thoughts and feelings.

I probably admire that because I could never do it. What I think and what I feel is always written all over me.

Those emerald eyes harden what would otherwise be a soft and almost boyish face. There's something almost familiar about them, but I can't quite put my finger on it. Do I see the sadness I carry within too, perhaps?

It doesn't seem possible, but it's difficult to tell. At present, they are drifting around my earlobes, my neck, my entire body.

It isn't a blatantly sexual glance, not at all. In fact, it feels more like an assessment.

I can't get a read on his thoughts, which is unusual for me. This man is growing more mysterious by the second.

"One dance, sweetheart," he repeats. "That's all ye'll get."

We stand up and Liam guides me out the door and down the hall. Exactly where I want to be. To hide in plain sight.

The burly bouncer opens the door for us and I get a glimpse of the VIP area. It's an intimate setting, dark with nice leather seats around the stage. It's nothing like the studio where I had my belly dancing lessons, but then again, of course, it's not intended to be. This private show is a place for the men of the Murphy syndicate to come and unwind. Apart from them, the only other invitees are their business associates, which means they must be Russians or Albanians, waiting for Kieran to arrive, for the meeting to begin. Also, most likely there is an occasional politician, lawyer, or other prominent figures they're greasing the palms of. This is exactly where I need to be. It's a treasure trove of information.

The emcee is shutting down the lights and overhead speakers.

"Hold off," Liam tells him. "I've got an audition."

The man behind the podium eyes me off with curiosity and obvious interest. "You want me to stick around?"

"No," Liam replies in a clipped tone.

Thank God.

The other guy is crestfallen as he walks towards the back without a word. I smirk and pull out my cell phone. "I've got my own music anyway."

Kieran's business associates lean forth with interest, their eyes glimmering with hunger. A scattered clap here and there breaks the tense silence.

"Carry on then." Liam takes a seat in front of the stage and stretches out his legs while he waits. He's playing his part well.

I want to prove I'm genuine, so I know I'll have to pull out all the stops. I decide to implement my belly dancing movements, with a dose of freestyle. I think organic movement will look sexier than if I'm too much in my head. While I'm confident in my dancing skills, this stuff is a completely different ballgame.

Those are things I never had time to want. When every day was a game of survival, I didn't want anyone else to care. Because if they cared that meant I could lose them too. I'm not good at this stuff. I don't know how to be sweet or seductive. But I know what I want, and I'm determined. I hope that will carry me through.

I plug in my iPod and cue up the song I've chosen. Where Have You Been by Rihanna. I want to keep Liam guessing. I need to be an enigma. A confusing dichotomy of shy and sweet and hard and tough. Liam lives in a dark world. Even if I am one, he doesn't want a pop princess up on stage. Or a nurse. None of them do.