Wattpad Original
There are 2 more free parts

Chapter 15 - The Deal

I stand in front of my bedroom mirror, the anticipation of the grand Christmas ball at Kieran's mansion buzzing in my veins. The evening promises to be a night of glamour and extravagance.

A stark contrast to my usual dull life, but also incredibly dangerous, now that I am caught up in the illicit world of the syndicate.

As I stare at a pale-faced, hazel-eyed apparition dressed to the nines in an exorbitantly expensive Vera Wang dress, a stunning shade of emerald green, I go over the plan one more time.

The plan born out of my idea, but elaborated on over time.

Arrive at Kieran's mansion.

Help pretend-sign the deal about the purchase of illicitly manufactured firearms. Stall.

The meeting with the Albanian mobsters is going to be a mere decoy. While Kieran's men set the Albanian drug warehouse filled with at least five tons of cocaine on fire.

Simple. Elegant. I like it. Those drugs could be worth over two hundred million dollars, Liam had explained.

It would cripple the Albanian clan finances, and police couldn't be happier about it, either. They'll probably chalk it off to accidental fire once they realize what was inside.

I feel a jolt of pleasure at the thought, and even if there is a worm of doubt wriggling inside my mind, I quickly silence it.

My mother deserves this. She is not who I thought she was.

Time for me to show her I am not who she thinks I am, either.

After that, I can leave. Vanish without a trace.

The material of the dress drapes my form as a second skin, emphasizing every curve with an effortless elegance. I twirl, and the fabric billows and flows, revealing a delicate train that trails behind me like an emerald plume.

It's a visual masterpiece.

Nervousness flutters in my stomach –I know I'm stepping into a world that is both foreign and alluring. A world in which my present and my past are about to collide.

Yet let it be my big finale. My grand way out.

A gentle tap invades my pondering silence, and Liam enters the room. He is dressed in a sharp black Armani suit that accentuates his broad shoulders and muscular frame. It's tailored to perfection, hugging his form in all the right places and my heart flutters in my chest.

I try my damnedest to compose myself. For the past two weeks, as Kieran's plan was coming to fruition, we've been tiptoeing around each other again. His yo-yo treatment continued, and I hated it.

He would come close, seeking warmth, and emotional connection, and then he would pull away just as fast, pretending nothing happened between us, leaving me devastated.

Being around Liam is like standing on hot asphalt – just as my feet get used to the sensation, he's no longer there.

But I've been very careful not to chase him, not to shower him with desperate pleas for explanation and overt, smothering attention.

When and if he wanted to open up, Liam Cavanaugh would have to seek me out.

He steps closer, his piercing gaze scanning me from head to toe.

"Yer going to turn heads tonight," he says, his voice low and husky.

My heart skips a beat. His words of praise send a shiver of anticipation down my spine, fueling my excitement for the evening ahead.