Chapter Snow White: Welcome to Walt Disney World!

Two years later

Milo shuffled in his cat carrier, mewing slightly at the sight of the Welcome to Walt Disney World sign. He shook his light orange fur and tugged on the carrier's bars, his green eyes fixed on Maisie, who drove carefully through her first wave of Florida traffic.

"We're almost there, Milo." Maisie stopped at a stoplight and pulled up her curly brown locks, tightening a scrunchie around them. She reached into Milo's cage and bopped his nose, something she did when he was anxious or suspicious. "You've been such a good boy."

Milo had to be. He didn't want to risk separation from Maisie because he couldn't behave well enough for the Disney College Program. Her parents recommended it as her first step in moving on after her brother's death. That was Maisie's first time away from her family since the tragedy, and Milo had to be there for her the whole way.

He played with his favorite catnip mouse, tossing it from one side of the cage to the other until he accidentally pushed it out. "Maisie! Maisie!" he meowed.

She collected his toy and slipped it through the bars. "Only ten more minutes to go, boy. We're driving through Disney Springs now."

Ten minutes felt like forever, but eventually, Maisie reached Flamingo Crossings East and parked.

She unbuckled and opened the door. Milo noticed Maisie paused for a second before heading to the back of the silver Jeep. When she returned, she held his ESA vest and harness.

Maisie unlatched the carrier's cage and gently pulled Milo out. While she dressed him in his red vest and put on his harness, she said, "It's quite something out here, Milo." She brushed down her white shirt and jean shorts and picked him up.

Hot Florida air blasted him, but Milo cuddled close to Maisie at the sight of the towering apartment complex. The buildings were four stories high, tan, and had orange patches between the second and third-story windows. He and Maisie were in the Visitor's Parking Lot, next to the bus loop and main entrance. One of its gates was open, so Maisie walked toward it.

Milo placed his chin on his owner's shoulder and thought about his wish. Aside from behaving well enough to stay with Maisie during her DCP, she also said she would get him a little brother or sister if he proved himself worthy. Milo had always wanted one, but things became complicated after the death. He became Maisie's ESA, and she didn't want to get another cat immediately while grieving. Two years had passed, though, and she was finally starting to come out of her shell, which led to the CP. However, Milo still felt her overwhelming anxiety, but he had to admit that he was nervous, too.

"It's okay, baby." Maisie kissed him. "We're in this together."

Smiles and laughs greeted them once they reached the gates and passed the Welcome Home! sign. "Hi! Welcome to Disney!"

"Thank you." Maisie inhaled and approached one of the security guards. "Sir, I check in at 9:00. Where do I go?"

"The Great Lawn." The guard pointed at a walking area between two glass buildings with two fingers. "Follow the path between Apprentice Hall and the Community Center and turn left. You can't miss it."

"Thank you, sir." Maisie pushed through the gate and clipped Milo's leash to his harness. "Okay, Milo, I'm going to put you down for now, but once we get through check-in, I'll get your favorite kennel." She tapped his nose again. "If you behave, we'll go to the pet store later and start looking at cats."

Yes! Yes! read his big eyes. Finally—a little sibling! Maisie said he could pick them out. He would be the best big brother! Milo couldn't wait to teach them how to use the litter box, chase the laser light, and punt the catnip mouse out from the couch. He couldn't wait to share his kennel with someone his own size.

With that in mind, he behaved like the best five-year-old cat at Flamingo and stuck close to Maisie's heel while they trekked between the two buildings—past chairs, tables, and a giant chess game.

Maisie's phone rang. She released it from her back pocket and placed it to her ear. "Hey, Mom. Yes, Milo and I are here. Check-in starts in thirty minutes, so we'll wait in the Great Lawn." A pause followed, and she gulped. "I-I'll try."

"Mrow." Milo purred and rubbed against Maisie's leg. He wrapped his striped tail around it.

"Thanks, Mom." Maisie kneeled and scratched his chin. "I'll call you later. Love you." She hung up. "Sorry, Milo. That was just Mom wishing us luck." Standing, she pointed left. "I think the Great Lawn is this way."

Before they left, another long-haired girl and her small dog approached them.

Milo instantly puffed up and stood on his tiptoes.

"Milo!" Maisie quickly scooped him up and said to the girl, "Sorry about that." She didn't make direct eye contact with her.

"Oh, don't worry about it." The girl waved her hand. "It's not often I see cats on leashes. He's a beautiful animal."

"Tha-Thanks."

"Are you guys new?" The girl gave them a knowing look, emerald eyes sparkling.

"We are," Maisie replied, "and we're a little lost."

"Aw, heck! I'll help y'all out!"

"Oh, I don't know." Maisie lowered her head. "As you can tell"—Milo snarled and bared his fangs—"Milo's not good around dogs." Maisie bounced him. "But thank you."

"Are you sure it's the dog he doesn't like?" the girl wondered, lifting her blonde brow. "He doesn't look like a dog hater to me. At least let me show you to the Great Lawn. It's only a short walk from here."

Maisie still didn't look at her directly. She was silent for a minute and then said, "O-Okay."

"Awesome!" Did the girl dance? She offered Maisie her hand. "My name is Feya. What's yours?"

"Maisie. Maisie Claire Foster." She started to lift her hand, but Milo swatted it.

He hissed at the stranger's legs, where her little, white dog hid behind her left one. Maisie was his human, and he wouldn't let some stranger touch her—not when he was a pending big brother.