Chapter Bambi: The Third Wish

Feya spent an unusually long time in the bathroom. Maisie assumed that was where she went.

Milo fell asleep in her arms and breathed quietly.

Maisie stood and walked toward the packed Pieology building without trying to wake him. She remained in the safe zone and searched for Feya through the windows. If she had to run in there, find her, and take her to the ER, she would. Maisie almost did, but she yelped when a hand grabbed her shoulder.

Milo yowled and fell out of Maisie's grasp, landing on his feet. His fur stuck up like hair under static electricity.

Maisie whirled around and found Feya laughing maniacally.

She slapped her knees and pointed at her. "You should've seen your face! I'm sure it would've blown up on TikTok!"

"Feya! You son of a—!" Maisie playfully punched her shoulder. "Why would you do that?"

"I had to! OMG!" Feya caught her breath, but just a little. "You were actually worried about me."

Maisie blushed. "No-No, I wasn't. You should be ashamed, Feya. You almost gave Milo a heart attack." She peered down at the still-puffed-up cat. Maisie kneeled and calmed him. "I'm assuming the cramp's gone?" she inquired.

"Yep—all better." Feya checked her phone. "It's getting late, so we should start heading back."

"Didn't you want to show me the village?"

"Let's do that tomorrow before I go to work." Feya patted her left leg. "This booger is tired, and I think your cat is, too."

Milo yawned a too-cute of a yawn, showing off his sharp teeth.

"He's truly a beautiful cat," Feya continued, "but not as cute as little Daisy here. Right, Daisy?"

At her feet, Daisy nodded and sat back.

"Shut up, Feya," Maisie said. "I'll race you back."

A little light left Feya's face. "Uh, no, Maisie—I can't run yet. But I can speed-walk."

What did she mean by she couldn't run? Well, considering how clumsy she was, maybe it wasn't the best idea.

"Okay, then." Maisie sported a feeble smile. "Speed-walking it is." OMG, was she starting to enjoy her? But Maisie promised herself no friends. However, something about Feya's bubbliness reminded her of her brother's. For once, it wasn't a painful memory.

Maisie won the race because Feya still tripped with a few of her strides, but they met up before Flamingo's entrance.

"I'll catch up with you one day," Feya declared, a little out of breath.

"You need to get in shape, girl." OMG! Maisie did not just say Feya's nickname for her! That was the most fun she had since whenever, but then she saw it.

Feya bent her knees, and her jean sleeve moved up her left shin.

However, instead of a shin, Maisie spotted a white mechanical bar. Her smile faded, and horror replaced it. "Feya, do you have a prosthetic leg?"

"No!" she instantly yelled, covering her leg again. "You're seeing things, Maisie! You ran so fast."

"How did it happen?" Why did Maisie feel so heated all of a sudden? She backed away from Feya.

"Please don't judge me." Tears appeared in Feya's eyes.

"Don't play dumb with me, Feya! I saw it! That's what's upsetting Milo, right?"

Feya's tears dripped onto the sidewalk. She hugged Daisy. "You're judging me."

"No, I'm just trying to figure this out." Maisie almost fell off the sidewalk. Luckily, she caught herself.