Chapter Fantasia: Storming PetSmart

Milo kept his distance from Feya while she escorted Maisie to her Jeep but suspiciously watched her.

She gathered his litter box, and Maisie collected his carrier.

Feya tightened the black bag around the box and questioned, "How long are you here till?"

"Only a semester, so four months." Maisie looked like she was starting to warm up to her, which was unacceptable for Milo. "What about you? How long have you been here?"

"Three months. I'm in the eight-month Program."

The two girls headed for the front gates. Feya tripped but caught herself before she dropped the box. "Oops."

"Don't you drop my box!" Milo growled. He needed it to teach his little sibling.

"You need a hand?" Maisie reached for Feya.

"Oh no—I'm used to it, being clumsy and all. Daisy usually helps me, but she's napping right now."

"Is that your dog?" Maisie scanned herself into the apartment complex, and Feya mimicked.

"Yeah." She grinned. "She's the cutest little thing, Maisie! She's been with me for five years. Left the country with me and everything!"

"Is this your first time in the U.S.?" Since when was Maisie that talkative?

"Oh no. I've been here for a year now." Feya cleared her throat. "I hope to return one day, but I like the U.S. Not to mention Disney is awesome once you get past the shock."

"Why did you leave?"

"Oh, I've got it!" Feya jiggled like a little kid. "How about I take you to Disney Springs after we unpack and grab a bite? You don't have your blue ID yet, but I can use mine to get you discounts."

"Tha-Thanks, Feya, but I'm taking Milo to PetSmart to look at cats." Maisie stepped away from her. "He wants a little sibling."

That's it, Maisie. Back away, Milo thought.

"PetSmart, huh?" Feya and Maisie trekked through the walking area between the two buildings again. "Why don't I go with you? There's a PetSmart about twenty minutes from here."

Maisie's cheeks puffed out. She looked like a squirrel who stuffed his whole winter nut supply in his mouth. "This is something Milo and I need to do alone, Feya. Don't you have a dog to worry about?"

"She'll be fine if I take her out before we leave."

Maisie groaned. "Feya, please, I already told you I'm not here to make friends. I don't know how we winded up as roomies, but that doesn't change a thing." She walked ahead of her and turned toward the pools.

To Milo's annoyance, Feya jumped before her. Her dirty blonde braid dangled in his face, and she asked, "Okay, what happened?"

"What?" Maisie shuddered, and tears sparkled in her deep brown eyes.

Feya spoke softly. "Well, you wouldn't be this shy and clingy unless something horrible happened to you."

"How would you know?" Maisie pushed by her. "Let's just get everything to the room, and then I'm going to PetSmart."

***

The move-in took about an hour, but Milo was patient. Feya grabbed Maisie a wagon from the Service Window in the vast Community Center, and Milo rode in it. He maintained the line between them and continued to hiss and spit at her.

Maisie's room in the apartment was small, but there was enough space to set up his zip-up kennel and climbing post by the window. Her bed was unfurnished and hugged the wall. Maisie slid her wooden bookcase beside it and unpacked the seventy books she had brought. Most were Rom-Coms with the occasional Fantasy and Sci-Fi. She made her bed, and Milo waited in his kennel.

He prepped for his little sibling. Milo punctured his favorite blanket (it was light blue with white star patterns) and spread it out on one end of his kennel. He split his toys and slid half of them onto it. Afterward, he called Maisie.

"Yes, Milo?" Holding a pillow, she approached him. "Oh, look at you already getting ready. Let me finish making my bed, and then we'll go."

Someone knocked on Maisie's door, and Feya poked her head inside. "Are you sure you don't want me to tag along? I just took Daisy out."

"I'm sure." Maisie tossed her pillow onto her bed and freed Milo from his kennel. "Ready, Milo?"

"Mrow!" he excitedly replied.

He kept his cheerful mood the whole drive to PetSmart and went down the mental list of the kind of sibling he sought: one who got along with and would play with him. He preferred a boy, but a girl worked, too.

Milo sat on the dashboard and examined the world beyond the windshield: palm trees, large roads, lines of stores, billboards, and the occasional Disney store. He learned quickly that many Florida drivers liked U-turns. Unlike North Charleston, there were lanes for them.

Maisie turned on her blinker and pulled into a parking lot.

At the sight of the PetSmart store, Milo leaped to all fours. He jogged in circles and chased his tail.

Maisie found a parking spot in front of PetSmart and shut off the car. She turned off Google Maps and slipped her phone into her pocket, picking up Milo.

He panted under the hot sun but stopped once they entered the air-conditioned store. It was a large PetSmart that carried an adoption center, a grooming center, an animal hospital, and the usual amenities.

Maisie read the signs on the left side of the store. "Cats. There we go, Milo. They're in the back."

Milo patted her hand, a gesture for her to move it. He had been waiting for this day too long.

They reached the cat section of the store, and Milo's eyes brightened when he saw the number of adoptable cats. They played behind their cages, and a few others studied them.

Maisie moved down the line and inquired, "Do any cats here pique your interest, boy? These are the younger ones." She stopped at the center section of the cages, where the two to three-year-old cats were.

Milo touched the glass and scrutinized each animal carefully. He jumped when a few cats puffed up. He waited for a spark to light his heart, telling him which cat was perfect, but felt none.

Maisie took him over to the kittens, but Milo still felt nothing.

Blinking slowly, he cuddled up to Maisie and peered into her face.

"Oh, baby, don't worry," she said, pecking his head. "It's only our first day here. We'll find you somebody. "I'm sure there's a humane society somewhere in Florida. And the animals change constantly in the pet stores."

But Milo wanted his sibling now. He wished upon a star every night for one, asked for one every Christmas, but never succeeded.

"How about this?" Maisie carried him toward the toy section. "Why don't you pick out a toy? Whatever you want—it's yours."

I want a sibling. But it looked like Milo had to wait a little longer.