Chapter Lady and the Tramp: A Hero's Lament

Today was the day. Or was it? Would Milo find the perfect sibling? An unrecognizable feeling sacked him like a sandbag. Excitement? Nervousness? Whatever it was, he was sure something big was about to happen.

Milo, Daisy, Maisie, and Feya left after dinner Thursday to start the Sibling Scavenger Hunt.

Milo let Maisie and Feya hang out a bit before he reminded them with quick trills. Something wet formed between his front paws, or was Milo seeing things? Was he that excited or nervous?

On their way to Petco and PetSmart, Feya brushed Milo like a show cat.

He noticed how much he was shedding, which told him he was anxious. Milo only shed during changing seasons and when he was stressed.

"Don't be nervous, Milo," Maisie said, pulling into Petco's parking lot first. "We're gonna get you that sibling."

The Petco in Kissimmee was large but crowded. However, there was something for every pet—from the biggest horse to the smallest fish. It was the perfect recipe for a successful scavenger hunt.

In the middle of the store was a treat stand for dogs called The Treatery. Different animal exhibits and rows branched off from each corner.

Maisie and Feya stopped temporarily to get a few treats for Daisy.

She spit out the ones she didn't like and begged for the ones she did.

While she and Feya were distracted, Maisie took Milo to the cats.

That time, he observed every detail: the number of whiskers, the colors, and most importantly, the behavior patterns. Where was the spark he felt when Maisie adopted him?

"What about him, boy?" Maisie gestured at another orange tabby who was darker than Milo.

For a second, Milo thought he had found his sibling, but then the tabby hissed and puffed up, scratching the glass.

"Oh, definitely not." Maisie tightened her grip around Milo and moved to the next cat. "Sorry, boy."

Milo did not realize how long he and Maisie looked at cats until Feya rolled to them.

She carried a Petco bag with treats for Daisy and said, "Hey, Maisie, if we want to get to PetSmart before it closes, we should probably leave now."

"Oops. Sorry, Feya." Maisie turned to her. "As usual, Milo's being picky."

"He's just intuitive." Feya patted Milo's head, and he purred. "And before he knows it, that intuition will get him a sibling."

She was right. Milo had to be optimistic. If Feya could do it, so could he.

A traffic jam delayed their trip to PetSmart, but Milo was patient. And, to be honest, it was nice to spend some quality bonding time with Maisie after a week of rejection.

It was dark outside but bright inside Maisie's car. Disney music played on the radio, and Maisie and Feya took turns tossing the mouse for Milo into the backseat.

On occasion, Daisy stood on Feya's lap and curiously watched how he played.

"I think Milo's back to normal, Feya." Maisie chucked the mouse that round. "He was a little down last week. I hope he forgives me for neglecting him."

"I think he does," Feya brightly guessed. "Don't you, Milo?"

He responded by batting her cheek.

Maisie reached the familiar PetSmart fifteen minutes before it closed. Careful not to trip in the warm summer night, she hustled inside, carrying Milo.