Why?

Reminder: Pray and make lots of dua.

Author's PoV:

After ten days of bleeding, of missing classes, of empathetic stares from family members, of intaking dozens of painkillers to null the pain, of weeping and blaming herself, Feiha finally stepped out of her house, head hung low and covered by her chadar.

December had begun and Feiha felt the chilly air hitting her face as she walked through the gates of her University and went straight to the elevator. It was empty since she had come early for her classes because of no particular reason.

Feiha pressed the button that would take her to the floor of her department. The doors began to close but then a hand came in between to halt the process. A hand that looked large, veiny and familiar.

Ayan entered the small space after a moment of surprise dawned on him, his eyes taking in Feiha's equally startled form. Both of them stood silent as the door closed.

They ascended floors without talking, hearing each other's breathing and side eyeing every now and then without intending to.

Ayan was embarrassed and so was Feiha.

Just as the elevator doors opened to reveal the wall with ‘Department of English’ written on it in big and bold font, Ayan gathered his courage and spoke.

“Feiha,” he called and waited, watching her stop and stand still for what seemed like minutes but it was only a couple of seconds.

She turned to face him, her eyes hard and emotionless. “Yes?” Her tone was just as stoic.

“Can you meet me near the auditorium after your class hours are over?”

“Why?” Her question came quick and dry.

Ayan felt awkward but he knew that he hadn't wronged her in any way. He was aware that he had been respectful the day he had proposed to her so he didn't understand why Feiha was being so rude with him.

“Because I want to talk.”

Feiha looked away as his gaze had become firm now. “I don't think there is any-”

“I'll not take more than ten minutes of your precious time,” Ayan assured. “Near the auditorium, please.”

The auditorium space was hardly visited by anybody on regular days. It was only used during seminars and that too in the presence of college staff. Feiha thought that meeting Ayan at a place like that wasn't right.

“That would be improper,” she said quietly, “I can't be alone with a non mehram.”

Ayan realised that it was indeed wrong of him to have suggested meeting at a place that would put them away from everyone. He didn't want to take any risk regarding Feiha's reputation, even though he was hundred percent sure about his own intentions.

“Then let's meet in one of the classrooms here.” He saw Feiha contemplating. She had the right to refuse and she knew that Ayan wouldn't force her but a part of her, the guilty part, told her that she owed him an explanation. “We'll keep the door open,” Ayan added.

An automatic voice from the elevator had begun to announce the need to close its doors but Ayan still looked patient.

“Alright,” Feiha nodded, “I'll see you after the lunch break."

.

.

.

Feiha got up from her seat as soon as she saw Professor Martin leaving the class. Ali, who was sitting in the row next to hers turned to her, his eyebrows raised. “Are you going somewhere?”