Chapter. 10

Jack wasn't unfamiliar with these dark and silent nights. He faced it far worse than this one. A coastal colony named New Rosmettas in the year 2049, where he was deployed for a search and rescue operation. His chopper was caught in the storm and crashed in a forest.

Three of his team member died on the spot, including pilot of the chopper. He was there counting his breaths and unceasing pain from the infected wounds a dislocated shoulder and five broken ribs.

Most of the residents of that colony dragged and drowned by the massive tidal waves from the storm. And those who were left on that island weren't that lucky. Their injuries gradually ate them away.

Jack spent three days and two nights trapped inside that chopper. He tried and fight the odds to the point where the angel of death was about to give him the hand shake. Operation leader Wilson Green sent another rescue team, they found him along with Ben. It was his first operation as U.P.E operative and unfortunately the last one.

Ben suffered a spinal injury the cause him lower body paralysis. Rosharps gave him new set of legs, now he was contributing as a product line worker. Paying his debt every month from his salary, for this these two legs which were lost during an operation authorized by Rosharps officials.

That's was just another story, and that was another Ben amongst the thousand others who were affected, rescued and slaved by this giant. Jack still thanks his lord, because he could be the Ben. But lord had his mercy upon him and he knew the lord will help him conquer this.

Jack turns back and glanced over his shoulder. Nikko was lying on his favorite spot. Some time he acts like a rat, a filthy sewer rat that was only have one concern to get a piece of bread and make until the end of the day.

That was only self-assumed analysis of Nikko. Jack knew that he was wrong about him. Nikko had a chance he can step out of this mess, and go back to his garage but he chooses to come along and he didn't complained about anything that happens to him to point right now.

He will break down, he was just a civilian. It is just a matter of time when animals like Waylon will hunt him down from this place. They will torture him for information about Kaden and our relation with them.

Jack tapped his nail on the trailer floor, "having trouble sleeping?"

"Nop, just missing my pack of smokes," he replied without turning towards Jack.

"You know, you have the best tobacco in the entire command quarter chain," said Jack.

Nikko chuckled a bit, "I thought you don't smoke," he said and sat up.

"Sometimes," said Jack, "it helps... helps a lot."

That was one confession that Jack had never did in front of any body. And he doesn't care if Nikko judges him. Jack was always the man who was against all of these things. He raised his voice I community meeting more than a few times about the illegal trade of tobacco and other contraband herbs.

"That's my old man's recipe," said Nikko.

Jack was not much interested in drug dealers and gangsta stuff but he had to spend time here somehow, "did your father taught you all this?" Jack asked.

"Nah," Nikko replied, "I found this in his dairy, where he writes all of his secret things."

"Just one recipe?"

"Off course not," Nikko replied, "I found that my father was in drugs business and he was married to three women, I wonder who one of them was my real mother."

That's the irony with the drug business, Jack knew it. Gangsters have too much money in their hands. Back in those days, they spend it over women, cars and gold jewelry. And what remains in their pocket was given to corrupt government officers, lawyers, and investment bankers, who promise to make it pure as white.